Utah Wildlife Forum banner
21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Saw a decent bull right by the Bridger Lake campground labor day weekend. Not sure he's one you'd particularly want to hang a OIL tag on, but it was an antlered bull on the North slope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm heading to that area next week for the ML deer hunt. I've seen several moose in that unit but nothing I'd consider trophy size. If I run into any while I'm out there I'll DM ya.

BTW - did you happen to see many deer during your scouting trips. Sounds like deer numbers have been down in that unit recently. Looking for all the info I can get before heading into the field.

·
Registered
4,733 Posts
I am going up to kings peak next weekend, and i'll D.M. you what i see. Ive seen them around there before, including a bull that probably had a spread around 5-5.5 feet and huge paddles
Moose can be tough to get an accurate gauge on estimating width. I don't have an active subscription to B&C's trophy search anymore, but I'm pretty sure the widest ever Shiras recorded was low 60s, with only a small handful that have ever cracked 60" wide.

A true 50" wide (4'2") Shiras' bull is a monster, especially in Utah.

Thaindar, don't sweat it yet. The best is yet to come for your season in Utah. Be patient ;)

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Moose can be tough to get an accurate gauge on estimating width. I don't have an active subscription to B&C's trophy search anymore, but I'm pretty sure the widest ever Shiras recorded was low 60s, with only a small handful that have ever cracked 60" wide.

A true 50" wide (4'2") Shiras' bull is a monster, especially in Utah.

Thaindar, don't sweat it yet. The best is yet to come for your season in Utah. Be patient ;)
My Shiras is 55” wide and he’s a giant. Can’t imagine what this 66” looks like! 😳

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
I saw one of the better bulls I've seen in a few years last week (not on the discussed unit). My guess was maybe 50". I can compare to a 40" bull on the wall so a bit of experience.

That being said the last week we saw 5 different bulls and several cows and calves It is only going to get better.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I’d sure love to see this moose that’s 60”+ wide… haha
dude come with me (if youcan keep up with a 20 minute mile pace) and i'll show you where i saw it. true, i could've easily misjudged the size of him especially at 250 yards, but even still he looked like i could lay down from paddle tip to paddle tip.

·
Registered
4,733 Posts
dude come with me (if youcan keep up with a 20 minute mile pace) and i'll show you where i saw it. true, i could've easily misjudged the size of him especially at 250 yards, but even still he looked like i could lay down from paddle tip to paddle tip.
Judging moose width isn't the easiest thing, but with a lot of practice you can get pretty close often enough.

These are my pics from yesteryear on the Wasatch, and I know that these two bulls were killed that fall and the widths from both of them. What would you guess?
Plant Natural material Natural landscape Tree Horn

Plant Natural material Working animal Natural landscape Terrestrial animal

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Are you serious 🙄 so what you’re telling us is you’re legally considered a midget in the state of utah. Guess that explains why it’s taking you so long to walk a mile

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Let’s see a pic!
There’s pics out there if you wanted to see them bad enough, I’m done posting pics here. He’s on the wall where I get to see him every day. I know I killed him and $FW knows I killed him. That’s all that matters.

(btw, thanks again for the free tag 😘)

·
Registered
7,009 Posts
There’s pics out there if you wanted to see them bad enough, I’m done posting pics here. He’s on the wall where I get to see him every day. I know I killed him and $FW knows I killed him. That’s all that matters.

(btw, thanks again for the free tag 😘)
Oh come on! It's just us girls here talking. I want to see the beast. Who cares about the haters?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Judging moose width isn't the easiest thing, but with a lot of practice you can get pretty close often enough.

These are my pics from yesteryear on the Wasatch, and I know that these two bulls were killed that fall and the widths from both of them. What would you guess?
View attachment 149393

View attachment 149394
id say those guys are about 36"-40"? idk now that i see these bulls, i feel like my estimate of 5-5.5' is way off:ROFLMAO: but no i think the one i saw was bigger, but pictures distort things ya know...

·
Registered
85 Posts
Are you serious 🙄 so what you’re telling us is you’re legally considered a midget in the state of utah. Guess that explains why it’s taking you so long to walk a mile
Have you ever summited kings peak in a day? my goal this year is car to car in under 10 hours, and a <20 minute mile throughout the whole hike is really good. now, with a 50 pound pack, i definitely wouldn't go as fast as a grown man, but no im not a midget😜

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Have you ever summited kings peak in a day? my goal this year is car to car in under 10 hours, and a <20 minute mile throughout the whole hike is really good. now, with a 50 pound pack, i definitely wouldn't go as fast as a grown man, but no im not a midget😜
No if I hike to the top of a mountain, im there to kill stuff. Not take pics and say I did it. I did hike to the top and back of mt penelle in snow up to my knees in 20 degrees with a 20 mph wind chasing bison in a day, one December. Picked up a big set of deer sheds in the process. But I’m sure that’s nowhere near as cool as hiking to kings peak for bragging rights on the internet

·
Registered
85 Posts
I think the one in the back of the picture is bigger, and he's probably 36"-40" wide. I think the bull i saw was probably 50"ish and Moose, i would love to be hunting as much as you do, but i'm only 15, and my dad doesn't have a bunch of time to get out hunting other than 2-4 days for the muzzy deer. However, as soon as i get my licence and I buy a truck, i'm going to try to get out a lot more when i can fit it around school and stuff. I like hiking because it gives me a chance to see places i couldn't otherwise, exercise and have a big goal to work towards. I don't even have a phone yet(so no pictures) but its not like i cant buy one. I actually have a job, and i just choose not to buy a phone til i'm 16. I see so much people waste too much time on there phones with snapchat, tiktok and sh!t like that. I don't wanna be a daddy's money soyboy, there are already enough of those.

21 - 40 of 63 Posts