Utah Wildlife Forum banner
41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
I think the one in the back of the picture is bigger, and he's probably 36"-40" wide. I think the bull i saw was probably 50"ish
50"ish is much more probable for sure, and that would be an incredible bull. I get that you're young, so I'll try to be a bit patient--not my strong suit. Generally when somebody tells you to try something again it's because you're first attempt was wrong. Shiras moose tend to be 8-9" eye to eye. Alaska-Yukon moose are generally 10" eye to eye. Gives you a base line to then extrapolate.

You're right that the bull in the back is "bigger" because he definitely has more paddles and better brows. But those bulls were within ½" of each other on width. And the "smaller" bull was 50" on the nose, with the bigger bull coming in slightly narrower. The smaller bull has a tine that tips out and gained him a few extra inches. Both are "above average" for Utah bulls these days (and were 15 years ago when I took those pics, but less so).

Here's a Colorado Shiras bull a hunter posted on another website from this year. How wide do you think he is, knowing that those two were ~50" wide?
Trophy hunting Hunting Deer hunting Plant community Plant

·
Registered
85 Posts
I'd say that bull is bigger than the other 2, probably 50"-54", but i think the one i saw was bigger. the points of the paddles looked longer and the paddles themselves looked deeper. but again, hard to judge.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
I'm heading to that area next week for the ML deer hunt. I've seen several moose in that unit but nothing I'd consider trophy size. If I run into any while I'm out there I'll DM ya.

BTW - did you happen to see many deer during your scouting trips. Sounds like deer numbers have been down in that unit recently. Looking for all the info I can get before heading into the field.
I would really appreciate any info you have on where you have been seeing the moose thanks. As far as deer go... in the 4 days I was out only saw 6 deer, not a buck one, sorry but I'll for sure keep my eyes open and let you know if I see something. Thanks

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
I'd say that bull is bigger than the other 2, probably 50"-54", but i think the one i saw was bigger. the points of the paddles looked longer and the paddles themselves looked deeper. but again, hard to judge.
He's a lot "bigger" but the same width at 50". There's a lot going on to affect the appearance of size with a moose.

Thaindar, good luck and I hope you get a great bull!

·
Registered
385 Posts
I was up on my antelope hunt the lat few days and there was a nice bull right in the stream outside of hoop lake. And had one come by in the moonlight right on Henry’s Fork where we were camped.

·
Super Moderator
10,126 Posts
That one is a road

Congratulations on a great moose

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
That's a beast of a moose for Utah. Great job!

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
21,517 Posts
Way2go!! I'd run the other way if I seen that big SOB!

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Beautiful Bull! Congrats on your success! Let's hear the story!

41 - 60 of 63 Posts