Utah Wildlife Forum banner
61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
All of it. Hiking is terrible without a gun or rod in my hands.
697 Posts
Come on....story time. Great bull. Who cares about measurements, that's a beautiful specimen. Nce paddles, good fronts. Good color.

What drainage did you find it?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Well I'm not much of a story teller but here goes. This was one of the best and most emotional experience of my life. My father passed away 2 days before this hunt opened, he had 25 points for this moose hunt and was never able to draw. It was supposed to be his year for this hunt and somehow I drew the tag with 18 points and he did not, and all he could say was how excited he was to be able to go on a moose hunt with me. Hunting and being in the outdoors was my dads passion and thing that we bonded over most. He taught me everything I know about being in the woods and was my hero so I really needed this. The hunt started out pretty slow opening week I was able to hunt 4 days and saw very few moose and was a bit discouraged. I had to go back to work for a week so I tried to make good use of that time doing more research on how to hunt these awesome animals which included tons of time on youtube and practicing my moose calling. The family was not super impressed with all sounds I was making try to get the tones just right, but it really seemed to pay off once I made it back up the mountain. I headed back up as soon as I could and immediately felt better about my hunt. Saw and could have harvested 2 bulls the first night while just pulling my camper in. One was tiny and the other was just average but still it was exciting as they were the first bulls I had seen since July. Next day I decided I had spent enough time down low around roads and ponds and went for a hike. It snowed a little that night so everything was wet and it was a perfect day to be sneaking in the woods. It was a great day, started the morning listening to elk bugle and I definitely got a little side tracked bugling and chasing the wrong species but old habits die hard. Ended up putting 16 miles on the boots that day and not a moose one but no regrets it was gorgeous country. The next day I had to head home for my fathers viewing and funeral the following day. I was also a bit whooped from the long hike the day before so I spent the morning mostly road hunting with the occasional short walk to a likely place to call with no success. 2 days later I have restocked and am headed back up the mountain with a bunch of family in tow all eager to be in the places and doing the things that dad loved. Of course things wouldn't be easy, all day things kept coming up that made it impossible to leave town, then on the way my truck breaks down (blown head gasket...), sister gets a flat on her camper so we end up getting to camp right at dark and I have all the angst of another missed evening hunt. The next day most of the family is so whipped from the funeral and get to camp shenanigans that they all opt to sleep in, but me and my Bro-in-law head out. That was a great morning 7 moose 4 of them bulls and all within shooting distance of the road and I discovered that calling was a viable way of getting them to come out of the willows where I could actually see them. The next 5 days were amazing I was seeing moose every time I left camp, and calling them is probably every bit as much fun as bugling elk though easier. I was able to get lots of pictures and videos of both bulls and cows up close and personal (sometimes times to close for comfort, those things are huge!). Second night out right at dark I passed on I think the same bull I killed. It was so close to dark that just didn't get a great look at him and I decided it was to early in the hunt for me to take a moose I wasn't positive was the one I wanted. That was one of the toughest decisions I have ever made as I watched him walk into the trees just hoping I would get another chance to get a good look at him. As opening morning of the the general rifle elk hunt approached the mountain was turning into a city the weather was turning and I was afraid I had made a mistake as that was the biggest bull I had seen by a fair amount and he had not been seen since. Woke up Friday morning knowing the following day the forest would sound like a war zone and if moose are anything like elk the possibility of calling with any success would be slim untill most of the other hunters pack up and head off the mountain. I needed to get this done. Well my little sister, 2 nephews age 6 and 3, brother-in-law and 2 dogs all load up in the truck for the morning hunt later than I would have liked at that. Well as we are headed to where they were going to drop me off so I could do a bit of a morning hike we drive by the same exact meadow that I had watched the big bull walk out of and there he is just standing next to a pond with a cow eating at about 60ish yards. So this time I get a real good look at him and know that he is as close to what I was looking for as I'm likely to find and decide the time has come. So I grab my rifle and sneak quietly the legal required distance off the road while the rest of the family holds their breath and watches. I'm not a crazy good marksmen but at 40 yards even I couldn't have messed this shot up. I knelt down with dad's shooting sticks, and dads rifle. Took a few good deep breaths cause I guess buck fever is something that I haven't fully grown out of though I thought I had years ago. And that was that. Shot my bull 50 yards from a road with some of my loved ones there to share the experience. So between drawing the tag, and the luck of finding a bull that big, that close to the road I'm pretty sure I have used all my luck for the next decade or so. Sorry for the long post and thanks for all the awesome responses and congrats I've got.

·
Registered
7,132 Posts
Very sorry to hear about your dad. I lost my dad 12 years ago and I’m always a bit somber around the hunts as he gave me the live of the outdoors and hunting. I always take a bit of him with me into the woods.

Very cool stuff on the hunt. It’s a great bull. So great to have family around you for it.

61 - 71 of 71 Posts