Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 148 Posts

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tonight marks the last of the November RAC meetings. I am somewhat surprised/amazed that no one has commented on two of the informational items presented by Anis Aoude at these RAC meetings (the statewide spike elk hunt and the statewide unit-by-unit deer hunts). Did no one attend the RAC meetings? Or, what?

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
Proutdoors, Wapiti67, CalloftheWild and I went to the Central Region RAC. One DWR was sleeping during the meeting. He must have had a long day. The RAC members dont listen to public input because they also have their own agenda. Pro told them to wait until next year to talk about micromanaging units because that is when they decide the deer plan. They proposed 19,000 spike tags which will cause them to issue less mature bull tags. The Drawloc was voted on and past so the Coyoteslayer can shoot a 450 bull next year with a bow

·
Registered
12,174 Posts
wyoming2utah said:
Tonight marks the last of the November RAC meetings. I am somewhat surprised/amazed that no one has commented on two of the informational items presented by Anis Aoude at these RAC meetings (the statewide spike elk hunt and the statewide unit-by-unit deer hunts). Did no one attend the RAC meetings? Or, what?
I went to the Central and will be going tonight as well. Since I am so ticked about the statewide spike hunt topic, I have refrained from going off on this idiotic plan. I WILL be doing everything I can over the course of the next several months to prevent it. I on the other hand like the deer plan, I believe the mule deer committee will be able to fine tune it and make it workable.

PRO

·
Registered
12,174 Posts
Too much work today to get going on this. My list of 'issues' I have with this is loooooooooooooooooong. I will weigh in more after tonights meeting. Are you up for a road trip, I can fill you in on the way up?

PRO

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
weatherby25 said:
what is the plan and why do you not like it?
The plan is to make all LE units open to spike hunting and to increase spike hunting opportunity back to 19,000 tags. Pro is ticked because if this plan is instituted, future LE hunting will be limited and increases in LE tags will only be slight.

The plan is being kicked around for a couple of reasons: 1) The public--imagine that--asked for it 2) it is a way of increasing elk hunting opportunity without hurting quality 3) it will help reduce bull/cow ratios on units where it is too high and maintain lower bull/cow ratios on units where it is ok.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
wyoming2utah said:
I was thinking the same thing. it will be interesing to sit in and listen to the comments at tonights meeting. I don't like the spike thing and I can't find the proposal for the unit by unit anywhere. I can see it on the aggenda but not he proposal. Is it online somwhere?

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think some of you are misunderstanding what is going on at these RACs. The two "plans" that I mentioned are NOT proposals...nor is the DWR planning on doing these things. These are simply informational items that the public, the RACs, and the Wildlife Board asked the DWR to do. Both of these informational items were given to show the pros and cons of moving the management plans in the respective directions. The very first of each informational presentation begins with the statement: "Through the public process hunters indicated to the RACs and the Wildlife board that they would like us to look at the pros and cons of managing..." This information has been given to inform hunters as to what these options would do and mean to hunters...

I have both presentations and could possible post them here later...I don't have time now.

·
Registered
12,174 Posts
Pro is ticked because if this plan is instituted, future LE hunting will be limited and increases in LE tags will only be slight.
You have a hard enough time explaining your positions, don't try and explain mine! :roll:

I will be at the Northern RAC tonight and will be asking a few questions, then I will post my views on this. In the meantime, ANY comments as to where I stand is childish.

PRO

·
Registered
404 Posts
I don't like the idea of state wide spike tags either. :evil: I don't like the idea of state wide anything. It should be unit by unit managment, spike tags,managment tags, cow tags,or more LE tags as needed.

Allen

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
proutdoors said:
You have a hard enough time explaining your positions, don't try and explain mine! :roll:
Oh please...spare me! You and I both know that you were "ticked" because any mention of statewide spike hunting goes against every bit of "trophy" hunting blood you've got. And, it would rip apart your stupid "idiotic" I400!

As for any comments on where you stand being "childlish"...well let's say that your own "idiotic" words earlier in this thread, then, must have been "childlish"! :roll: :roll:

·
Registered
12,174 Posts
Oh please...spare me!
As for any comments on where you stand being "childlish"...well let's say that your own "idiotic" words earlier in this thread, then, must have been "childlish"!
Are you 14? This two 'brilliant' comments sound like something an 8th grader would say. Oh please...spare me, what a great line, I haven't heard that since Jr High School, thanks for bringing it 'back'.

Like I said, after tonight I will share where/why I stand on this issue. I can't believe someone feels the need to tell how I feel, as if I am shy in sharing my opinion. :roll:

PRO

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
proutdoors said:
Like I said, after tonight I will share where/why I stand on this issue.
Why bother? I don't think anyone doesn't already know where you stand... :roll:

Like I said earlier...the idea of making all LE units open to spike hunting scares you to death because it would mean that LE tags couldn't be increased as much as you would want. :lol:

·
Registered
507 Posts
It should scare everyone who has ever wanted to hunt a LE bull in Utah.

Why manage the herd with spike tags when we can do it through LE tags?
Why increase tag limits to 19,000 when the DWR can just barely sale the 11,000 tags now?
The DWR had it at 19,000 tags for years and they have never sold out until just the past couple of years, and they don't even sell out until the last week before the hunt. Thus proving that this is not a HIGH DEMAND hunt.

There are other idea's that can help thin out some bulls without having to go with this stupid plan. This totally goes against the mission statement/plan of the Elk Management Plan.

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
utfireman said:
It should scare everyone who has ever wanted to hunt a LE bull in Utah.

Why manage the herd with spike tags when we can do it through LE tags?
Why increase tag limits to 19,000 when the DWR can just barely sale the 11,000 tags now?
The DWR had it at 19,000 tags for years and they have never sold out until just the past couple of years, and they don't even sell out until the last week before the hunt. Thus proving that this is not a HIGH DEMAND hunt.

There are other idea's that can help thin out some bulls without having to go with this stupid plan. This totally goes against the mission statement/plan of the Elk Management Plan.
1) Question: Why manage the herd with spike tags when we can do it through LE tags? Answer: In order to increase total hunting opportunity.
2) Question: Why increase tag limits to 19,000 when the DWR can just barely sale the 11,000 tags now? Answer: Elk hunting is becoming more and more popular. If spike tags were increased and hunters were allowed to hunt any LE unit, more tags would be sold. Many hunters choose not to hunt spikes just because there unit of choice is not a spike unit...this would change that. Regardless of how many tags would be sold, hunter opportunity is there. If hunters chose not to utilize all 19,000 tags, the numbers of spikes killed would be fewer and the number of LE tags available would increase...it doesn't matter how high the demand is; we know that the demand is higher than the number of tags available.
3) I don't see it as being against the elk management plan at all...I see it as a realistic and easy way of bringing our elk herds back into line. I see it as a way of increasing hunter opportunity without decreasing quality.
4) Like it or not, it was the public--through the RAC process--that asked the DWR to do this!

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
I haven't looked much into the statewide spike elk hunt, but IMO there couldn't be anything good come out of it. Have you gone out on a spike elk hunt before? You better be the quickest shot, because it is a slaughter house, way to many hunters already.

1 - 20 of 148 Posts