Utah Wildlife Forum banner
41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
For paleoclimates they measure an isotope of oxygen found in ice cores. The prevalence of that isotope is indicative of a corresponding temperature. The interesting thing is that as CO2 concentrations in ice cores rise so does the temperature as measured by the oxygen isotope. So we can see a direct relationship between CO2 levels and temperature increases and decreases over the last 800,000 years.

Today temperatures are measured with typical weather instrumentation, thermometers and satellite imagery. Global average temperatures today are the highest since modern records have been kept (the last 150 or so years). One degree F doesn't seem like a lot for any one particular area, but for a global average it is significant as the Earth usually does a pretty good job at keeping a balance. The thing concerning the majority of climate scientists is the trend doesn't appear to be abating. The computer models indicate if the current trend continues that by the end of this century we could see as much as a 7 degree F rise in temps (worst case scenario).
So when you measure isotope what do you use? What type of device or instrument?

Typical weather instruments have an error factor of what?

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Typical weather instruments have an error factor of what?
I don't have an answer for you on this question. However, I think regardless of any error would be the consistency of the devices used.

For example; if a typical thermometer has a degree of error of .2 degrees F and measurements are taken twice a day for 30 days then the degree of error drops dramatically. Taken over a whole year the degree of error would almost be nonexistent. (Least ways if I remember my statistics correctly...its been a while :shock:).

·
Administrator
21,865 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
RainDance

200 years ago the American Indians believed they could change the weather by building a fire and dancing around it.
Today the people who believe that 'we have to pass this bill so we can see what's in it' and that ObamaCare 'would save American working Families $1.500 a year' believe that the rain dance does change the weather but you don't need to dance, just build the fire.
In the 70s these same alarmists believed American industry was causing Global Cooling by shading the planet. Their problems change but the solution is always STOP AMERICAN INDUSTRY OR WE ARE ALL GOING TO DIE.

41 - 45 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.