Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to book a trip next year and thought I'd ask if any on here had any experience with the Nushagak? We want to catch kings, It will be my self and 12 y.o. son and 65 Y.o. Father-in law.

thanks for any experience you can share.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I fished the Nushagak about 9 years ago. It was awesome! Are you using a guide service? If so which one?

We went in June and the Kings were just barely starting to run. I caught fish and had a great time. I could not believe how bad the mosquitoes were. Once you are on the water they are not a problem, the river is so wide that they dont go out in the middle. But when your cooking dinner or hanging out, at least in June on the section we were on, the mosquitoes were insane. I literally had to constantly wave my hand around my "you know what" while relieving myself because otherwise a dozen would be on there biting within seconds.

It is an amazing place though, the river is big and beautiful, and there are some huge fish that run there.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm open to guided or not guided. Hoping to get some info from those that have been before. Planning on the 2nd week of July

·
Registered
226 Posts
I'm open to guided or not guided. Hoping to get some info from those that have been before. Planning on the 2nd week of July
I've not fished the Nushagak, but looking at the data, you have the timing right in terms of the time of year to catch fish. Usually there is a spike in runs right around the first week of July, meaning fishing will be really good the second week of July.

The one concern I would have is that the brood stock (2009-2011) that will make up next year's run were some of the worst escapement levels for Chinook on the Nushagak in the last 20 years. While brood stock escapement doesn't always correlate to actual returns 4-6 years down the road, it is one of the strongest predictors out there to determine run strength.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hadn't thought of the run next year, figure it will be what it will be. but now my expectations are lowered. I figured someone here would have fished the Nushagak as there are so many camps on the river. I think we will book with high adventure air out of Soldatna so we can also fish the Russian for reds and homer for Halibut.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts