Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had some random geese land in the decoys, and this one was the only one with a leg band, so after looking them all over and planning my strategy I shot the ones I wanted.
Lo and behold, what I thought was a shiny silver was actually this plastic band with the number "59" on it.

Not the usual yellow marker, I've seen enough of those. This is sort of a slip-on band, without a marker on the other leg.

Anybody seen one of these before? Almost disappointed because I like getting the band reports back. No way to tell this one's story.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I would guess that it was in someone's private collection and escaped. That is the same style of band my dad uses on his homing pigeons when he wants to mark them temporarily.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No, definitely a wild, free roaming goose.

Wasn't physically different from the others we called and flagged from a distance, worked the spread, landed and we shot out of the flock.

I'm pretty sure it's someone putting a livestock/poultry band on some geese that hatched on their private pond, to see if they came back the following years.

It's just a bummer to not know where and when.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts