Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking a 45-70 (Marlin Guide Gun) might suit me for my next big game rifle; but I'm looking for versatility.
Anyone have experience using a saboted bullet in this cartridge?
I'd like to try a .35 cal speer semi spitzer or something similar in a sabot, stuffed into the 45-70 case. Anyone tried this? or even a 180 gr 10mm SP?
I've shot muzzleloaders stoked like this quite a bit and was impressed with the results- but what about a smokeless powder rifle? Do you think it would work out alright?
Just thinking out loud.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
If you are thinking about reloading for this rifle, It uses 45 cal bullets which are pistol bullets the same as what most sabots consist of. IE a 54. cal will use a 45 cal bullet and a 50. cal will use a 44 cal bullet. some muzzle loader's will have different size sabots so you can use either a 45 or 44 cal bullet.
also if you are thinking of putting a sabot inside of the case that is looking for trouble.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The sabots I'll be using are .451 diameter (outside) with and internal cavity diameter of .358 or .400. Why is it "asking for trouble" to put a sabot inside a case of the same mouth diameter? Remington has done this for years with their .30 cal accelerator rounds; plus- it's a fairly common practice for many .50 BMG shooters to use sabots when a smaller diameter bullet is desired in that large case.
I'm asking, specifically, about doing so in the .45-70.It typically has large, deep rifling grooves. Much like a muzzleloader.
I'm aware that I'd most likely need to crimp the case mouth to ensure everything 'stays put'. Also, the bases of most sabots are concave- much like a minie ball- to facillitate proper gas seal.
What I'm asking is if anyone ACTUALLY HAS EXPERIENCE with this, rather than supposition or speculation.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Sorry, I haven't tried it either. I know sabots have been used in the 06, and I'm sure you know the common complaints about them. Plastic fouling, and mediocre accuracy. I don't think you'd have the fouling problem as bad in a .45-70 however. Simply because of the velocity. Accuracy may not be as good as with a bore-sized bullet, but you won't know until you try. The only thing that could be a problem is loading and feeding them in a lever action.

Now, all that is assuming you can get your hands on some sabots that will actually work. 45 cal muzzleloader sabots will not work in your 45-70. They are designed for a .451" bore, and the 45-70 has a .458" bore. I'm sure they would shoot, but your accuracy would definitely suffer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts