Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
West side Utah Lake
3,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard there are areas in OB where you "might" be in "over your waders". Just wondering where those are. It looks like there's some dikes and boat channels, just wondering if the boat channels are wadeable or if they are too deep.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I hunt Ogden bay quite a bit I would definitely stay away from the channel that the boats run in even if you start across it and it doesn't seem deep it drops off very fast.

·
West side Utah Lake
3,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I hunt Ogden bay quite a bit I would definitely stay away from the channel that the boats run in even if you start across it and it doesn't seem deep it drops off very fast.
Is there a way to walk into unit 1 or is it surrounded by channels too deep to cross?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Channels are too deep. Also the south side of the big pond right at the gate has a channel in it (assuming they filled it with water) You won't know until you step over the edge and fill your waders. You can walk the dike all the way around unit 1 but you need to find the bridges to cross the channel.

·
Registered
185 Posts
As long as you don't mind a long walk and trudging through phrag you can hunt the east side. There is also a dike that runs along the west side that provides access as well. PM me if you'd like additional information.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I forgot to add that the large pond in the southwest corner is what I believe to be quicksand. I had a very scary moment where I was sinking in the mud and I eventually had to go completely under water to work my feet out of the mud. Very cold 3 mile walk to the car.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I forgot to add that the large pond in the southwest corner is what I believe to be quicksand. I had a very scary moment where I was sinking in the mud and I eventually had to go completely under water to work my feet out of the mud. Very cold 3 mile walk to the car.
You walked to the south east corner of the big pond?? Jeebus dude, how long did that take you? couple hours? :shock:

·
West side Utah Lake
3,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You're from LA, wheres your Pirogue?
Still in LA !!! Seriously thinking about making another one though or just bringing one back next time I go down.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
If you want to hunt unit one by foot your best bet is to walk the east dike. There is a parking lot just across from it. A bike is a good option it's a long way out. From there you can find some small openings you can walk to but Ogden bay mud makes this a very hard walk. Now if u got to unit 3 there is an island of reeds you can walk out to also a hard walk. And depends on water levels. The other option would be walk into the east side of unit 3 I have seen it done. But I would go out there today and scout a couple spots you never know how many people will be ther in the morning.
You might get lucky. Most people that walk Go to Howard slough or the north area of Ogden.
Are you looking for a spot for the youth?

·
Registered
109 Posts
The walk to the quicksand.

It is a 5 mile loop from the parking lot. I regularly hike it after a morning hunt for an incidental pheasant and to get an idea of how many ducks are around. I guess it takes me about 3 hours.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts