Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always went to Farmington Bay for the opener and done well, but it is starting to get more crowded each and every year. I was thinking maybe Ogden Bay, has anyone hunted farmington bay on the opener and the next year ogden bay, Is ogden just as crowded or can you actually go out and not worry about people shooting over you? Any info would be great.

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
There are going to be wackos at any place you go thats a public WMA on the opener. The best thing to do is get there early, chase off anyone that camps right up on you or just hunt the evenings.... the morning is going to be a zoo.

·
Registered
8,945 Posts
Ogden bay will be about as bad as farmington bay. like said befor no matter where you go your going have the crazy dum worm weather hunter out. but with the rain it might keep some people home this weekend.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Try Howards slough and turn your hat upside down with all the shot you collect you can reload enough shells for the rest of the year. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
111 Posts
Whenever I have gone to Ogden Bay for the opener, I've found the most success going around noon. If I'm short on time, which I have been a couple years, I'll just walk out one of the dikes for about a mile and hike back...I can usually kill me a bird or two and I think I only ran into one person. Last year I had a lot of success going at about noon again but just hiking off the dike about a mile...not a soul around...birds were decoying well...and it almost seemed like a late season hunt because I wasn't worried about getting peppered. There are places you can go to get away from the crowds, but I just suggest going later in the day - especially with the weather we're supposed to get.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The problem with Ogden Bay right now is that the phrags have covered so much of the marsh that the hunters get packed into the same areas. If you go, and if you are a foot soldier, this is one place that you better scout in advance to know where the water and open spaces are. I think the boat traffic is less than Farmington, if you have a boat.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts