Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Buddy of mine drew this tag at the expo this year going to be helping out all summer scouting as much as possible and during the hunt. Just curious if anyone has done this hunt before most of what we have been told so far is to get in really good shape and be ready to walk. Any starting points would be great if anyone knows any being 5 hours away scouting is a bit more difficult to get a bunch of it in before the hunt.

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
One of my FAVORITES....:!:....

Been there on 3 different hunts.

The sheep move around, A LOT.

A good starting point is north of Big Water, in the cliffs.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Congrats, that's the tag I have been putting in for now for a while. My dad had that tag in 2014 and he killed his ram on the 2nd day of the hunt. It wasn't a giant but it was a really nice ram. Lots of atv trails and spotting, I would highly recommend a good spotting scope and tripod and be prepared to go go chase the sheep 2-3 miles away from where you spot them. Be prepared for warm weather and if it rains some serious mud. Agree with goofy, big water is a great place to start. I'd love to see pics of scouting and the hunt.

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
Heat can definitely make summer scouting difficult!

2004 we were there in August, it was 102 degrees at 2am in the morning..:!:....

The end of October is pretty nice though..;)

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We will post everything that we can find along the way and the hunt itself once we get to it. I am going to try and video as much as I can of it so I will keep up what I can thanks for the help and that was one concern was the heat for sure. Sounds like our first scouting trip will be around big water thanks!

·
Registered
37 Posts
My son and I helped out a friend on that unit this year. He killed a dandy ram that my son spotted from 2-3 miles away. The WK is a very good sheep unit for Utah and if your buddy does his part he should get a nice ram.
Desert sheep hunting is way different than deer or elk hunting for sure. It is 99.9% glassing and 01% hunting/shooting at best. If you do it right, sheep hunting will likely get in your blood. Access the highest quality glass you can afford and find strategic spots to look from. Pick the country apart and low and behold you will start to see sheep. The mountains north and east of Big Water hold good numbers of the sheep but they are scattered throughout the unit.
If you want to get a feel for the country spend some time down there early this Spring before the bugs and the heat drive you nuts, but the sheep may be in different locations come Fall. I would take full advantage of the adventure, despite the fact that it came at almost no cost to your friend :grin:. Best of luck!

Oh, one more bit of advice, if you are novices with bighorn hunting.
A good ram is an old broomed off ram. If a ram has pointed lamb tips he is likely young and immature. Mass makes a much better bighorn trophy than length. Get to know what a real good ram looks like before your buddy pulls the trigger! ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts