Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im getting into archery, Ive got a pretty nice bow with a quiver, what else will i need to get to get into the whole bow hunting thing, sights, rests, ect, any reccomendations on good equipment??? My bow only has some old brass sights right now. What about peep sights & whisker biscuts & that type of stuff. I am a VERY beginner at this archery stuff & dont know anything about it. Im hoping to be good enough by fall to stick my first archery deer. Any help would be great. Any recommendations on who could set this stuff up for me??

·
Registered
801 Posts
What kind of bow? Do you plan on shooting a mechanical release or just using your fingers? There's so much gear that it would be impossible to list it all, but FishGlyph gave you some good advice. I personally prefer a drop-away rest and a release. At least that's what I shoot best with. Probably the most important thing is to make sure you have a place to shoot regularly. Spending time with your bow will do more for you than any particular trick gadget you may encounter. So find a range nearby or get a target. I also like peep sights. There are a bunch of them available so choose one you like. And my last suggestion would be get a rangefinder or practice ranging stuff a lot. Most shots are missed because distance is misjudged.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
If you want to meet with some guys that are up to date and are not just there to hustle your money and run ya out the door, They have the time to instruct, talk to you and know their stuff, go see the two youngsters at Wild Arrow in Layton, Also they won't put down your equipement, like one shop in SLC Does,

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
FishGlyph said:
As everyone has told me... "Go see Gerald, Curly or Jason at Utah Archery Center." They offer great customer service and give you the information you need to get started up right.
+1

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a Bear whitetail 2 bow. I think its set up at 70 lbs. Right now all it has is some brass sites & a quiver with arrows & a rubber type rest. I would like to learn to shoot it with a release, But I guess its all personal preferance huh? I went to a couple places & asked around, They tried to sell me anything & everything, & the most expensive of everything :? . How many pins are best on a site?? I cant see myself shooting farther than 40-50 yards. By the time I added up the price on the crap they were trying to sell me, it was well over $450.00 :x Would kinda like to get some quality accessories for cheaper than that!!! I have quite a few arrows, but some are a little bent, & I dont really think they are all the same length. Is it hard to put on the peep sites & those types of things? I hear ya on putting your gear down. Im new to this, My bow should be plenty good for me to decide wheather or not I will like the whole bowhunting thing. All both places could do is talk about all the new accessories & features on the hoyt, bowtech & matthews bows. Yea, Like I would drop a grand on a bow when I dont even know the first place to start with one!!!! :D

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
You need a sidearm for all of the cougars and bears that will try to kill you once they see you only have a bow in your hand.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts