Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While cleaning out my Great Grandpa's old shed we found some old and strange taxidermy. I'll post some pictures of what we found. And I'm curious if anyone else has seen some out of the ordinary taxidermy so post some of what you've seen as well.

The Elk and one of the deer are mounted with half of the head which I've never seen before. We think they were killed in the 50s. The other deer with the missing eye was killed in the 40s. And we don't know anything about the freaky bobcat thing.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Shunter, I've seen several of those old "neck mounts" over the years. That's how a lot of them were done way back. They didn't have the luxury of anatomically correct foam manikins to use and alter at will. Many of them were hand wrapped and/or carved things. The fact that most of them actually resemble the animal they started out as is pretty amazing.

The half skull mount with skin on it is new to me though, I haven't seen that one before.

I have had some guys ask for a neck mount on occasion because they think it will save them some money. It won't.

Generally there are some pretty terrible examples of taxidermy on Ebay. It's kind of amazing how bad a bobcat can be made to look sometimes. :grin:

·
Premium Member
3,845 Posts
Most of my Father-in-law's mounts still look pretty good but some are starting to crack and split. They used to use formaldehyde to cure the hides and now they tan them.

·
Senior Goof
3,623 Posts
I love em! My great grandpa would take every single scrap of meat possible. Use the hide to make things. Makes me think of that seeing these. All that was left when they were done was the head at the base of the skull. So they threw it on a slab of wood and called it good.

If I had a time machine going to the 50's and 60's would be awesome.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts