Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, my father in law gave me his Winchester single shot 20 guage. I was going to take it out for ducks today but I wasn't sure if I could shoot steel through it. It has a fixed improved modified choke in it, which doesn't bother me much... it says on the side of the barrel Winchester "Improved modified choke - Winchester proof steel". I have no idea how old this gun is.... but don't want to ruin it by shooting steel through it if it can't handle it. The chamber is 2.75 or 3 inch... which leads me to believe its ok for steel.... but I am second guessing myself. Al?? Or anyone else that knows guns?? What do you think?

·
Registered
6,309 Posts
Sounds like it would be ok, you can always call one of the local gun shops to make sure (or Winchester if they are still alive). 2.75-3in., modified and "steel" sounds like it is a newer gun to me.

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great... thanks Al. Hey, another question for you if you don't mind. My dad also gave me a Stevens/Savage 12 guage pump gun. How old would you guess that is if it had a four digit serial starting with 4? He's had that for about 25 years I guess.... but supposedly it was his dads before that. They don't even make "Stevens" shotguns anymore do they?? Or have they just been bought out by somebody?

·
Registered
6,309 Posts
Did a little research. I went to the http://www.Savagearms.com site and looked around. Yes, Savage and Stevens are still together, but Stevens is apparently building only a sporter rifle bolt action these days. They have a great reputation for being very reasonably priced , yet extremely accurate. Their only negative problem is the triggers are a little heavy, grainy or....
Now that said the Savage side of the company is still building shotguns but they are over-unders in the $1400-1600 price range. I believe they are called Malano's. A check of their site would be my recommend. I went a little further and they did say that there site no longer gives any history ( serial number) info. But there is a person that they recommended that would do a search for some $$$$$$$$$$$. Also there was a book that they recommended. Hope this helps you. I am a big fan of the new and old Savages. The old ones have seen an increased value in the last couple of years. If you find anything else out shoot me a note. Inquiering mind(s) want to know. Al.

·
Registered
385 Posts
i wish savage still made the 20 ga. 30-30 over under. used to have one then let it slip out of my possession, now wishing i still had it.

·
Administrator
21,546 Posts
chuckmiester said:
i wish savage still made the 20 ga. 30-30 over under. used to have one then let it slip out of my possession, now wishing i still had it.
I have one for sale.

PM me if interested.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts