Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Lets start by saying ONE GREAT YEAR
Archery elk opening morning wow what a disappointment first area that I was in had very little sign found a hand full of tracks and that was it, but watching the grouse run around was very entertaining in fact I didn't know all of the different noises that they make kind of like a rabbit squealing but very soft and barely audible I think that it was the mom calling her kids closer they must have been too far for her liking. Next day started off a little better I found tracks right off and could smell the elk, they were there but where? the timber was really thick in this area so walking slowly was the key, about 1/2 the way up the mountain I was hearing some strange sounds kind of like a cooing or a purr sound turns out a baby porcupine and her mom were playing up in a pine about 15 feet above after watching them for a little while I decided to pursue the elk smell and see if I could cut some good tracks must have been a herd and they were on the move I never did see any of them but once I got to the top of the mountain there he was feeding in my direction 30 yards then 20 at 15 yards I let out a chirp and he stopped only for a second but that was all I needed at 15 yards broad side the arrow made a perfect pass through tracking was easy till he dried up no more blood small circles revealed nothing and was really getting frustrated replaying the shot in my head thank goodness for GPS I could look at places that I hadn't walked, 50 yards from one of my circles there he lay I have to admit this has been the best tasting elk that I have ever shot.

Archery Deer
After taking my elk to the butcher it was time for pursuing my deer about the same area as the elk I had harvested showed very little deer activity but I knew that they were there cutting a few tracks and seeing a doe that busted me right off finding the herd of elk that I had mentioned on the elk hunt these ran off busting every branch that was in the way, the mountain came alive so much noise I thought that anything that was close was alerted and probably ran off, as it turns out I found one buck slowly feeding over a small hill I could only see the tops of his antlers but I knew if given a chance I would take this buck, he crested the hill and quartered away from me at 33 yards I drew and loosed the arrow it flew true hitting him right behind the shoulder and exiting his neck 15 seconds later I watched him stagger and drop only running 50 yards there was no need for tracking.

Anterless Deer
Well, after putting in for a doe I finally drew with 3 points, this new hunt area was in Manila the wife and I love this area, in fact our honeymoon was at the gorge fantastic area tons of deer and I thought this would be easy well trying to find a land owner that would let you hunt their property was not as easy as you would think. So many deer but finding one that didnt have a fawn and was a mature doe wasn't easy either, on this hunt I could have taken a muzzy, shotgun or archery I opted archery was the way to go since why mess up a good running streak and shoot something with a firearm didn't appeal to me. I met some really good nice people that pointed me in the direction of a landowner that might allow me to hunt his property after a brief conversation and some very useful information the morning hunt was on, if you have never hunted junipers, sage on slick rocks its very hard to be quiet not to mention to find a doe that was of age without fawns and within range well you get the picture. I found a group of about 10 that was worth working glassing these critters I found 2 that were worth an effort of a stalk, my plan was to get in front of them as they were feeding well my efforts worked having all of them feed right in front of me less then 20 yards I could pick and choose what one I wanted but now a new challenge arose how to draw my bow with all these eyes looking around? I patiently waited till they were all occupied feeding slowly drawing my bow one mature doe spotted the movement and alerted the others but the rest had no idea where I was, looking for a doe that didnt have any fawns I noticed one that didnt (I know because I was watching them for 15 min) I loosed my arrow it sailed true but the doe spun hitting her in the shoulder deflecting the arrow back through her main body I thought oh no, as it turns out I had a good blood trail to follow and a 45 min search led me right into a field there she lay just on the far side, since the landowner gave me permission to be there I didn't want to clean the animal in the middle of his field where his cows were grazing so I packed it up in the truck and headed off to dispose of the guts properly. The next day I wanted to show my appreciation by offering him some back straps or other delicious part of his choosing he refused but I think that having
offered may have secured future adventures, I will remain in contact with this gentleman and shall offer help with equipment or labor on my next trip to the gorge.

Good Luck to everyone on the mountain and be safe.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,248 Posts
Nice post and pictures you did very well.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you it was a lot of work but with good friends that were willing to jump in and help pack out it made for an easy pack out. Many thanks to all of them.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Excellent work on the triple-play not an easy task with archery equipment! Congrats on a fun-filled year and the freezer full of meat. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts