·
Registered
4,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just a simple poll. Wondering overall.

·
Registered
10,054 Posts
Never have, never will with SFW in charge... and I work right next to it, not even worth the effort to walk over.

-DallanC

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
I voted HELL NO!! In the past I have spent a bit of money at this expo. Many hats, shirts for the kids, beer for myself, etc. A couple years ago I finally talked the wife into letting me buy the set of saddle paniers I had been eye balling at this expo for a couple years. If your average customer like myself doesnt show up anymore what happens to this corrupted expo???

I must admit I will probably spend 5 minutes to walk in and out to validate my chance for my dream hunt. Sorry about that.....

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
I've never gone before. I thought it sounded fun and was planning to attend this year. I'm still a little behind on everything that's gone on today, so I'll have to read more before making a decision for sure.

·
Senior Goof
3,612 Posts
I am against this and will be sitting in a dang booth!!

What does a small business in a niche do? That could be 25% of yearly sales at one event. We have no major endorsers and aren't super established. This IS our market and that is a place to get lots of sales and spread the word. So I protest, they still rent the booth out, and we lose a ton of sales and marketing...

It's a crap spot to be in.

·
Registered
6,825 Posts
Random,

The Utah Stream Access Coalition had a booth two years in a row at the expo after SFW lobbied to screw the public in the stream access battle. Working the booth was actually what took me to the expo for the first time. I dropped $20 on applications on my way in, and drew a Pauns rifle tag. I felt serious vindication working a booth opposing their cause at their own expo, and also drawing one of their most coveted tags.

Don't feel bad about being there and working a booth. You and yours have to eat too.

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
I will come clean, my cougar is going to be on display (this way I don't have to ship it in from CO). But now, it will be on display in protest...I wonder if I could make a card....

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Question? For those that say they will only go to validate their applications but not go in, aren't you still helping sfw? I mean 70% of that $5 is going to sfw. So your really not not helping them. Right?

·
Registered
4,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Question? For those that say they will only go to validate their applications but not go in, aren't you still helping sfw? I mean 70% of that $5 is going to sfw. So your really not not helping them. Right?
The $5 is probably the biggest issue to me. RMEF offered 100% back, now SFW is still taking $3.50. Boycotting the permits is important enough IMO I won't be having anything to do with any of it.

·
Registered
4,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

What does a small business in a niche do? That could be 25% of yearly sales at one event. We have no major endorsers and aren't super established. This IS our market and that is a place to get lots of sales and spread the word. So I protest, they still rent the booth out, and we lose a ton of sales and marketing...

See and I feel bad for you. I don't want to hurt outdoor retailers or anyone trying to sale their products, I just want SFW and the Utah DWR to reconsider their dirty actions. What is your business, I'd be glad to support it online if you have anything I need.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
The funny thing is there are gonna be guys out there who in their mind are thinking sweet less people going .my chances of drawing a tag just went up. Uh why do you think SFW was hiding the drawing odds for so many years and certain members on their high up board were drawing premium tags. THE WHOLE DANG THING IS DIRTY AND CORRUPT

·
Registered
3,067 Posts

Fortunately this ain't the only "EXPO" in town! You might want to look at:

The Big Outdoor Expo - Feb 25-27 - Provo Convention Center - Tony Abbott

International Sportsmen's Expo - Mar 17-20 - South Towne Conv. Center

Ultimate Outdoor Expo - May 20-22 - Maverik Center - Sylvia Anderson

And there may be others I'm not aware of. And the booth fees are better. In fact one of them is free to all non-profit conservation organizations and is MUCH more family oriented - Ultimate Outdoor Expo

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
The funny thing is there are gonna be guys out there who in their mind are thinking sweet less people going .my chances of drawing a tag just went up. Uh why do you think SFW was hiding the drawing odds for so many years and certain members on their high up board were drawing premium tags. THE WHOLE DANG THING IS DIRTY AND CORRUPT
Maybe the odds will go up and maybe they won't, but the difference will still be so small it won't matter. And the number of new guys thinking they have a better chance will also go up, canceling the ones who drop off.

·
Senior Goof
3,612 Posts
Fortunately this ain't the only "EXPO" in town! You might want to look at:

The Big Outdoor Expo - Feb 25-27 - Provo Convention Center - Tony Abbott

International Sportsmen's Expo - Mar 17-20 - South Towne Conv. Center

Ultimate Outdoor Expo - May 20-22 - Maverik Center - Sylvia Anderson

And there may be others I'm not aware of. And the booth fees are better. In fact one of them is free to all non-profit conservation organizations and is MUCH more family oriented - Ultimate Outdoor Expo
Thanks for this! The big outdoor was pretty cool last year..

Will UWC be at Ultimate Outdoor then?

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
Thanks for this! The big outdoor was pretty cool last year..

Will UWC be at Ultimate Outdoor then?
Yes! In fact, we'll also be at the one in St George on New Years day and the day after. We've chosen, at both events, per Sylvia's suggestion, to present a series of short game calling presentations with an identification contest for the kids and some hands on (not mouth) calling for the public. She'll have to coordinate it time-wise and space-wise, per the noise, but she thinks it's "awesome".

The Big Outdoor Expo was fun last year and if we can arrange it in the next couple of weeks and there's still room, we'll try for that one too. Tony gave us a great booth price last year (He's a UWC member), but that's not a sure bet.

The ISE is also a great Expo which we have participated in, but we don't currently have the funds to join the one coming up and the final payment was due Dec 1st. If you have the funds (and the late fee) I would encourage you to sign up. Otherwise, like us, you can wait until 2017.

In other words, for both for vendors and sportsmen, SFW's Expo ain't the only fun and profitable game in town.

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
Where is the expo being held in St. George on new years day?

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
Where is the expo being held in St. George on new years day?
The Dixie Convention Center, 1835 Convention Center Dr. (east side of I-15 south of Bluff St.) It's a 2 day event (No Sunday, which we like.) and costs $10 for Adults, (That's for BOTH DAYS, not each day.) And there are $2 discount tickets online and from many merchants and vendors. (We have some!) Kids ticket prices? I don't know, I haven't seen any!
Just Google Ultimate Outdoor Expo, Utah, St George.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts