Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If you could hunt any general bull rifle unit during the rut without anyone else in the woods, where would you go?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Wait a minute, I thought Ridge was retiring!! I had been preparing an offer to present to him for the purchase all his knowledge and coordinates...seeing as though he has no further use for them. All others disregard the previous pos. FYI, there are no honey holes located in Utah...and no elk either. ;-)

·
Registered
514 Posts
Ridge, I'll offer a loaf a fresh sourdough bread and one of goobs buffalo bacon loafs for your knowledge.
Let's see if Nevadas offer is better than that!

Goob, if he accepts, I'm gonna need some bison bacon...

Now, as far as the question goes, I think my families hunting place on the Idaho/Wyoming border.

·
Registered
4,553 Posts
I don't have any any bull areas, but I assume you are not asking in a hypothetical sense as you have a waiver to hunt a week or so before the GS aka tail end of the rut?

But if we are bidding for ridgetop's hideyhole....I'll throw in 2016 fall silver salmon fishing in AK---ridge, all you have to do is fly to anchorage. And 2 loaves of Goob's bison bacon

*Goob, put me down for some o' that deliciousness

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Those of us who have already put in the time and effort aren't just going to tell you where to go, as indicated in many of the 'I need to know where to go shoot an elk' threads on this forum...
-- 30-06-hunter

So if you're asking for places to hunt, but you pose it as a "hypothetical" question is that better or worse than openly coming out and asking for some advice?

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
30-06 Hunter,

You have a disability waiver which gives you a tremendous advantage over everyone else in the state. You basically get the youth only draw tag every year. I understand that this is needed for folks who have a disability and cannot access the types of areas that non-disabled hunters can.

Here is my advice--go hunt the oak creek mountains open bull unit. There is a lot of vehicle access there for someone with a disability--more so than in the uintas which would be extremely difficult if not impossible for someone with a disability to hunt.

The open bull units around the oak creek would be a good area with lots and lots of roads to ride that lend themselves to a disability type hunt. If I was disabled I would be hunting there as I think I could find some success with plenty of scouting and the ability to get a vehicle close to most of the areas. I saw a few elk on one of these small desert hills across the highway from the sand dunes just a month ago while riding my motorcycle. No bulls but there has to be some I would think.

Good luck with your disability hunt, I hope that you can find some elk that are close to a road.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
-- 30-06-hunter

So if you're asking for places to hunt, but you pose it as a "hypothetical" question is that better or worse than openly coming out and asking for some advice?
There are a few folks on here who have a hard time with the fact I have an 'advantage' over them if I ask for such suggestions. Although I don't really let it hold me back much, it does suck to only have one good hand sometimes and a fused middle back. The human body is pretty good at compensating for a lot of things though, and you could say that I truly believe in miracles.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
30-06 Hunter,

You have a disability waiver which gives you a tremendous advantage over everyone else in the state. You basically get the youth only draw tag every year. I understand that this is needed for folks who have a disability and cannot access the types of areas that non-disabled hunters can.

Here is my advice--go hunt the oak creek mountains open bull unit. There is a lot of vehicle access there for someone with a disability--more so than in the uintas which would be extremely difficult if not impossible for someone with a disability to hunt.

The open bull units around the oak creek would be a good area with lots and lots of roads to ride that lend themselves to a disability type hunt. If I was disabled I would be hunting there as I think I could find some success with plenty of scouting and the ability to get a vehicle close to most of the areas. I saw a few elk on one of these small desert hills across the highway from the sand dunes just a month ago while riding my motorcycle. No bulls but there has to be some I would think.

Good luck with your disability hunt, I hope that you can find some elk that are close to a road.
I would trade this advantage for a fully functioning body in a heartbeat. I'll pull that area up on google earth and have a look.

I'm still looking at going back to where I harvested my 2 elk last year, but it's very remote and tough hiking.

·
Registered
4,553 Posts
30-06, what irked me on this thread, and I don't think I'm alone, is that you posted it as a "hey guys, hypothetically speaking, if you could hunt a gs any bull area in the rut which would you?"

A hypothetical would be a situation where you had no ability or intention of hunting one of the areas proffered during the rut. In fact, you can hunt these areas at the end of the rut. This is where the post seems deceptive. Had you phrased it as "Hey guys, where should I hunt gs any bull during the rut with my disability waiver" you wouldn't have appeared deceptive and the responses wouldn't be calling you out on that.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
30-06, what irked me on this thread, and I don't think I'm alone, is that you posted it as a "hey guys, hypothetically speaking, if you could hunt a gs any bull area in the rut which would you?"

A hypothetical would be a situation where you had no ability or intention of hunting one of the areas proffered during the rut. In fact, you can hunt these areas at the end of the rut. This is where the post seems deceptive. Had you phrased it as "Hey guys, where should I hunt gs any bull during the rut with my disability waiver" you wouldn't have appeared deceptive and the responses wouldn't be calling you out on that.
Point taken, I should have been more definitive with my wording.

·
Registered
6,530 Posts
Point taken, I should have been more definitive with my wording.
Some might say 'more definitive.' Others might say 'less deceptive.'

Maybe it isn't so much the 'advantage' you reference that people have a problem with so much as your pompous and arrogant posts you regularly put on here in response to people. The quote above about not coming on and asking and expecting people just to hand out information is a good example, but only one of many. Do we need to revisit the 'please read the entire guidebook' debacle?

Sorry, this has stuck in my craw since you first started this thread. Had to get that off my chest.

·
Registered
169 Posts
That's the first time I've heard someone say there is a lot of road access on oak creek. I spend a lot of time out there for deer. Not many roads at all and very little elk near any roads, just from my expierences.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
More access than on the uintas. There is a 4 wheeler road or better in nearly every main canyon on the Oak creeks compared to nothing in the uintas wilderness. But look to the surrounding desert for all around access and there are a few elk out there.

I wanted to state my disapproval of 30-06 but am afraid the thread would get pulled as has happened in the past. Instead I gave advice

·
Registered
4,853 Posts
That's the first time I've heard someone say there is a lot of road access on oak creek. I spend a lot of time out there for deer. Not many roads at all and very little elk near any roads, just from my expierences.
They're talking about the areas outside the LE deer hunt boundaries.

·
Registered
4,853 Posts
Well hypothetically, I would hunt one of the newly opened any bull units that had been a LE.
The Oak Creek and West Beaver were pretty amazing that first year. So was Range Creek for that matter.
Oh crap, was I thinking out loud again.:shock:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts