Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a good opening weekend with my wife and brother. We got both of these guys down in the thick nasty stuff. Good thing my brother had his .270 WSM with the 129 grain Barnes LRX to make his 40 yard shot! I had a sharp, angling away shot on mine but I had confidence that my 150 grain Barnes TTSX from the .30-06 would do the trick and it sure did. He probably ran about 60 yards or so til he fell down and couldn't go any further. I wasn't thinking clearly at the time and I shot him in the side of the head when I finished him and broke the skull plate. In this picture, I am holding 2 separated antlers together to make it look like the skull plate is intact. I was thinking about bringing saddles up in case we got something and it was in an area that we couldn't get ATVs to, but I decided against it thinking that it would just be more gear and junk to haul around.

BIG MISTAKE! I was kicking myself for not bringing them. Kind of frustrating looking at our fat, under-utilized horses watching us haul heavy elk quarters to the truck. My brother came up with a great idea to tie the quarters to the middle of a steel fence post and put the ends of the fence post over our shoulders and haul the quarters out like tribesman from some primitive part of the globe. The field dressing went super quick due to the fact that we had my wife with us. She is the best game processor I know! Now that our elk tags are filled and the meat is hanging in the trees we can lounge around the house today and enjoy our wedding anniversary (2 years). Can't wait to do it all again next year!

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh, and we did wear hunter orange for our hunt. This was just our back at camp attire after all the work was done. I can tell you that the bed felt pretty good both Saturday and Sunday night. Also, no California Condors were harmed with the harvesting of these bulls.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Not trying to be the downer but the forked bull isn't a spike is it? It looks like both sides fork above the ears. I don't know much about the regs but was just wondering.

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
Congrats on your success but you really should have let that bull with the cheaters go.
A few more years and he could have been a crazy big non-typical.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts