Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I experienced something this year that I never expected, but it changed a lot of my hunting perspective. Opening morning of the elk hunt we were changing game plans and drove past a camp with an elk hanging already. I was jealous. I wanted to have an elk hanging in my camp. Well, that night I connected and got my elk. I had almost two entire weeks off of work, my wife was being babysat by her sister for that time, I was going to spend twelve glorious days in the hills looking for elk. After one day my hunt was over. I was excited but depressed at the same time.
Now I'm trying to decide what to do next year. Maybe I'll spend more time screwing around for the first couple of days. Maybe less scouting. I don't know???? Has anyone else experienced this and what do you do? Do you prefer to close it down opening day or wait a little? Maybe I'll start being more selective and search for that elusive 190" spike.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
you can spend some of this time to butcher your animal. No need to pay someone else. get a few things done around the house or catch up on your own little things that you never have time for.
think of it as a little retirement time.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did all kinds of things to occupy my time. I butchered my elk, have to agree that there's no reason to have someone else do it. Besides, I like to know where my meat has been. I even made some hamburger this year with the help of my neighbor, thanks buddy! I went grouse hunting, went with a friend on his bowhunt for a couple of days, flyfished the Provo (which I had never done). I still felt a little down. But, MAN what a week!

·
Registered
55 Posts
harley, you sound like friend of mine that I had asked to help me out on a deer hunt a few years ago. I told him that I was planning on shooting the first four point I saw. Well, at first light I did see a nice 4 point and shot it. It was 7:30 in the morning and it was right off the road. I could really tell he was disappointed that we did not hunt all day and hike around alot but I was really glad he was there to help me lift it into the back off the truck. :D This year was the first time I have not hunted in Oct. for many moons. I do know what your feeling. Next year I will be doing the dead. hunter program again.

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
Well instead of hunting the easy spike unit, hunt an open bull unit and I bet you could put those 12 days to some serious hunting with an antler reward you won’t throw in the trash.

Quote from a wiser hunter than I- Buying a spike tag is like taking an ugly, chubby chick home at the end of a party. She aint the one you set out to bag, but she's better than nothing.

Treehugnhuntr

·
Registered
51 Posts
In 2005 I had planned to hunt the last full week of the archery elk hunt. I was late getting away from home and got to my hunting area with only about 1 1/2 hrs of shooting light left. I debated for about .5 seconds about just setting up camp and hunting in the morning or going out that evening. I decided to go out. I threw on my camo and ran to my favorite spot. Before I even sat down, I saw an elk working down the hill toward me. I cow called a few times and when he was 30 yards away and broadside, I let my arrow fly. I had been there less that 1 hour and had already killed an elk. I felt exactly like you. I actually stayed a couple of days and just hiked around, took some pictures and enjoyed the time in the wild alone. I was really not ready to go home. It was good to still have a couple days planned away from work though to cut up the meat and put all of my stuff away (I seem to have more stuff every year) before going back to work. When I told my wife that I had killed the elk on the first night, she was a little bugged that I didn't come straight home. I had to explain that there is so much more to hunting than just shooting something and I wasn't ready to quit hunting yet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts