Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't done as much scouting as I hoped this year, I have a pretty got on Farmington way off in the marsh but do you guys think it would be a waste of time with how many people will be there? Or any good suggestions on where to go without getting bb's rained on me?

·
Registered
101 Posts
I haven't done as much scouting as I hoped this year, I have a pretty got on Farmington way off in the marsh but do you guys think it would be a waste of time with how many people will be there? Or any good suggestions on where to go without getting bb's rained on me?
I normally don't hunt opening day due to the crowds, but if you have a really out of the way spot you might be ok. Just don't plan on getting there 10 min before shooting starts.

Edit: It also helps to find a spot where people can't set up on top of you. If I could find a 20 yard wide pothole in the middle of nowhere (like surrounded by sage brush) that would be my ideal spot for the opener.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Opening day on public land won't really be a hunt to where you'll call ducks into your spread. It's more of a shoot everything that flies even if it's over across the pond, flying with the airplanes, or if they guys down the dike are shooting at the same ones. If you make it out alive, I'd say it was a successful hunt!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Opening Day on FB is more spectacle than hunt. And, it has been that way on the south end of the lake for over 100 years. See the thread below "Opening Day Never Changes, Kind of". Hunters complained of the crowds in 1900. I always enjoy just seeing all of the ducks in the air. It is interesting you use the name "Duckdom" as that was the name for the realm of the ducks around the turn of the last century.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts