Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made it out yesterday, but was only able to hunt the morning due to having to be back to work today. I had a nice looking 4 point broadside at 40 yards. Wouldn't have been much of a trick with a compound, but since I'm hunting with a struggle stick this year I had to wonder how bad I really wanted to lose an arrow. Even if I would've gotten the elevation right he had me pegged pretty good and I doubt he would've still been in the same spot by the time my 4 inch feathers whirring along at 165 fps finally got there. My brother hunted the whole day and saw zero elk and no fresh sign either. That was a bit unusual and discouraging. I'm not too worried though because there's a ton of hunt left to go and I expect that to change. Especially with the awesome season dates we have this year.

·
Registered
988 Posts
I saw 17 bulls, 2 cows, 2 calves, 11 does, 6 fawns, 1 buck and 23 mtn goats. Had a very lost spotted calf at 10 yards the first 20 of the hunt. I drew back, but couldn’t bring myself to do it. It was tiny.

called in a little 5x bull this morning. Only elk I saw today.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I had a spike bull (spike bull only unit) at 42 yards with his vitals covered and couldn't get a shot. He winded me after what seemed like forever (probably only several seconds in reality), spun on a dime and that was that. I did also see about a dozen cows and calves. I hope I haven't seen my quota for the year in the first day :)

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Saw a bunch of does and one little 2 point. No elk.

I was only casually hunting since I was primarily on the mountain to spend time with family.

I'll get after them a bit harder in the coming weeks. Looking at some new areas since my familiar grounds are so far away.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
I had elk on my trail cams Wed and Thursday morning and night. Of course nothing came in Saturday and this am. 😕 That's my life.

Grandson was after deer. He had a blast !!
Saw more than I expected to see. He was passing up little bucks trying to get shots at the better ones. He shot a 3 point last year, so he figures he has to get a 4 point this year. He is hooked on bow hunting. He didn't want to home this afternoon.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I only hunted Saturday and saw about 8 cows, all close encounters.

The bulls that were on my cameras last year and in July this year magically disappeared and never showed up again after late July... Weird.

I also found a guy who rode his 4 wheeler in on an old closed logging road illegally. He had Ramos in his bed and I saw the tracks leading all the way to his wheeler several miles in.

Anyway, I want to report this guy. I've got his license plate number. Do I report it to the DWR or FS?

·
Registered
988 Posts

The bulls that were on my cameras last year and in July this year magically disappeared and never showed up again after late July... Weird.

I also found a guy who rode his 4 wheeler in on an old closed logging road illegally. He had Ramos in his bed and I saw the tracks leading all the way to his wheeler several miles in.

Anyway, I want to report this guy. I've got his license plate number. Do I report it to the DWR or FS?
FS. But they won’t do anything about it

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I got my covid vaccine on Friday and immediately started feeling poorly. I have felt like utter trash all weekend--wanted to go out but I have zero energy and just feel lousy. I should have planned it better and gotten it at another time as I knew there was the risk of being affected like this--oh well, am feeling slightly better this Sunday evening but ya live and learn. Still totally worth it to get the shot.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My 65# lab has more meat on her than that thing did. I need more return than that on my $150 3 season spike tag
But what's the price per pound (ounce?) for veal in the store? Furthermore, there's the whole "experience" of watching the life drain from the eyes of a <3 month old critter. Maybe even score a nice double lunger on Junior and listen to him choke on his own blood. You're really gonna try and place on a monetary value on that? Maybe you shouldn't be hunting.

·
Registered
215 Posts
One of my least favorite things I have read here 😞

Just my opinion and personal feelings but I don’t think that this statement was very respectful towards the critters we hunt. (You may be sarcastic and in that case I am glad we are on the same page, might just have to think about how things get taken)

·
Registered
4,936 Posts
I have had some great open day archery experience's, some hunting and some just scouting. Either way, there's been some great ones in the past.
If you have seen some of my youtube videos of velvet bucks, many of them are on the archery opener or during the season. After missing out for the past 4 years, I was able to get out and help glass for a friend of mines son. I did see a few nice 150" class 4 points and one tall, heavy 3 point that had a big body. I have a new camera and spotting scope that needs some getting used to. So my video footage is pretty poor. One nice thing I did see was a lot of does with a pair of fawns tagging along. Good news for the future.
It was really windy, which I personally hate being out in the wind. I'd rather be in rain or snow than a strong wind.
All in all, it was a good opener.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
One of my least favorite things I have read here 😞

Just my opinion and personal feelings but I don’t think that this statement was very respectful towards the critters we hunt. (You may be sarcastic and in that case I am glad we are on the same page, might just have to think about how things get taken)
Dark humor is like food. Not everyone gets it.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
I’ve shot many calves, but 20 minutes in on a tag that’s good for almost 2 months… the spots is what got me. It couldn’t have been more than 6 weeks old. It was tiny
Well ya, but didn’t you kill a 360 bull last year? What better way to follow that up than some elk veal chops?

The spots? Ya that “might” make me slow things down some but twinkle twinkle little star would be on its way pretty quick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
848 Posts

I have a contact with the USFS law enforcement. If you can PM me the information, I might be able to track down the exact law enforcement officer you would need to talk to. That would probably go a lot further than reporting it to their who knows where it goes line. And they will prosecute on what you have. Let me know and I will reach out to him.

1 - 20 of 123 Posts