Utah Wildlife Forum banner
101 - 120 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Well.... I've been able to hunt a total of 3 days so far. I don't know if I'll get to get out again before extended season starts. Very likely not. Super bummed. But, my wife is willing to let me get out for 4ish days of backpack hunting during rifle elk before then taking my boys out for several days for the same. So that's awesome :)

Trying to hunt alot when having a 3 month old is hard!

·
Registered
993 Posts
Well.... I've been able to hunt a total of 3 days so far. I don't know if I'll get to get out again before extended season starts. Very likely not. Super bummed. But, my wife is willing to let me get out for 4ish days of backpack hunting during rifle elk before then taking my boys out for several days for the same. So that's awesome :)

Trying to hunt alot when having a 3 month old is hard!
No it’s not, take them with!

·
Registered
382 Posts
No it’s not, take them with!
Well at 3 months old ... It won't be so hard, possibly.

At 2 months old, the elevation I'd be camping at would be a no go for baby girl. We found out early on that we shouldn't take her to high elevation then found out that DR recs are to not exceed 8000ft until they're 3 months old.

She'll be 3 months this weekend! Then we get to start seeing how she handles altitude.

I'm excited to get her into the hunting woods asap!

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Okay, I'm impressed!
And I bet your spike left a blood trail a blind man could follow, besides watching him drop.

I killed a cow the same age in 2016 using a 100 gr VPA quartering to shot. Arrow went through the left front lobe of the lung, top of the heart, and exited after driving through the center of the offset lung. She went up the hill 25 yds and tipped over "deader than disco".

I'm quite certain 1" cut diameter broadheads placed right will kill just as quickly as any wide cut expander will...

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 ·
And I bet your spike left a blood trail a blind man could follow, besides watching him drop.

I killed a cow the same age in 2016 using a 100 gr VPA quartering to shot. Arrow went through the left front lobe of the lung, top of the heart, and exited after driving through the center of the offset lung. She went up the hill 25 yds and tipped over "deader than disco".

I'm quite certain 1" cut diameter broadheads placed right will kill just as quickly as any wide cut expander will...
Shots fired!

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
I'm helping a friend with his Pronghorn tag but our plan is to finish that one early and give it a go for Elk for the remainder.

Have to see how that works out.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #114 ·
Good luck to everybody headed out. I've got my hands full taking care of the meat from my spike still. We are looking at bottling some elk chili verde! If I do make it out at all it will be for a short grouse run close to home.

·
Super Moderator
3,530 Posts
JC - every time you post pics of those ptarmigan, it makes me mad at my wife! Like she couldn't toughen up a little bit and postpone her "emergency" surgery until after I had chased those birds with you!?!

As always, thanks for sharing!

101 - 120 of 124 Posts