Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having a hard time deciding, New Tikka CTR in .260 rem, or have a remington 700 built with a longer barrel in the .260 or 6.5creed.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
If cost is no issue I'll always recommend building a rifle. Way more choices that way. What is the purpose of this rifle? If it is primarily for big game, I would build a lighter rifle in 260. If the rifle is going to be for target/long range, I'd build a heavier Creed. If you are going to build a heavy hunting gun I'd build something with more poop than either.-----SS

·
Registered
4 Posts
Tikka's are incredible, I've been shooting all sorts of 700s for years and in the fall I purchased a T3 lite stainless in .308 for my left handed daughter and I am impressed with everything about it, 1/2 moa out of the box and the the action is like nothing I've ever had. High priced magazines are the only downfall. I'm planning on a 6.5 Swede next and to replace my 7mm next year.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I'd like to know a little more about your plans for the rifle as well... The T3 line of rifles is pretty awesome. I enjoyed my 270 WSM and I imagine the CTR would shoot well also. My only gripe with the T3 is the crappy stock. I never cared for the plastic feel of it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It will be mainly for messing around 6-700 yards, probably a hunt or two for now, although I am going to give up the bow and probably gravitate towards a rifle, I like all the positive comments about the Tikka

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
For 600 to 700 yards I think I'd get a bigger caliber in long action. If your set on a 6.5 I'd look at savage 6.5x284.

I also think it would out shoot the Tika hands down.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
It will be mainly for messing around 6-700 yards,
You got to love it...like maybe off hand at pot guts or running jack rabbits.

Fast, next time your out on a long straight road with no traffic, place a 5 gal bucket(about the size of an elks chest) in the road, get in your car and drive 4/10ths of a mile down the road, stop, get out of your car and sight back at that bucket sitting there:grin:

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
If you limit yourself to messing around at 6-700, an accurate Creedmore would do fine. If you ever think you will shoot at critters that far I would get something bigger. I shoot with a guy who has a bone stock Savage Creedmore and he shoots just fine out to 1000. My favorite gun for messing around out to 1000 is the 6 BR. -----SS

1 - 10 of 10 Posts