Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out to daybreak today to try it out. It is a good little lake with clean water. Got there about 10:00 and it was very windy and raining slightly. My plan was to throw out a bubble and fly, but with the wind blowing so hard it didnt seem like such a good idea. Tied on a Mepps Aglia and tossed er' out. Got a few small bows to hit it, but no hookups. Moved down a piece and found some good vegetation near the shore. Worked the shoreline and picked up 2 small Largemouths. Both about 7 or 8". By now the wind had died down a bit, and there was quite a bit of surface activity. Tied on a Parachute Adams behind a bubble. I was getting strikes on every cast, but was having a hell of a time hooking up. Managed 4 little bows the biggest about 11". Decided to see if i could get another largemouth. I walked the shore looking for a good spot when i saw a fish cruising the shallows near shore. he had some size and looked like a bass. I had tied on a 2" purple tube jig, and cast it out in front of the cruiser. When it hit the water it looked like i had spooked him, he started swimming farther out and disappeared. I let the jig sink and started to reel. I got it about a foot from where it landed when the bass i thought i had spooked came out from the depths and nailed it!! _(O)_ He put up a good fight jumping 3 times before i had him at hand. he was about 11 1/2 " and good colors.
A good day, nothing huge, but it seems like this little lake will be a good producer in about 5 or 6 years.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
Nope, me neither. I guess if I could bring myself to use the large resource available to me where I live (Utah Lake), I could probably catch one, someday.

Nice job at Oquirrh. Do they also call that Daybreak? I've never been there.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
From what I have seen, there isnt as much pressure as you would think. I work in that area occasionaly, and i never see too many people. I could be wrong though. When I was there there were 4 other guys fishing, but it was also rainy and cold.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Went back out there today with my boy. He caught 4 little bows, i got skunked. Of course I do all the work for him, he just reels em' in, but always seems like his pole is always lucky when we go. I wouldnt want it any other way. I took a walk around to see what the rest of this lake looks like. It seems like it is only halfway completed, this will be a good size body of water when its complete. Wouldnt mind living there if i could afford it.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Jigz said:
Went back out there today with my boy. He caught 4 little bows, i got skunked. Of course I do all the work for him, he just reels em' in, but always seems like his pole is always lucky when we go. I wouldnt want it any other way. I took a walk around to see what the rest of this lake looks like. It seems like it is only halfway completed, this will be a good size body of water when its complete. Wouldnt mind living there if i could afford it.
That's how it always seems to be when my wife comes along. The pole she uses always seems to be the lucky one :lol:

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
LOAH said:
Nope, me neither. I guess if I could bring myself to use the large resource available to me where I live (Utah Lake), I could probably catch one, someday.

Nice job at Oquirrh. Do they also call that Daybreak? I've never been there.
I noticed the bass you are holding in that pic on the largest fish of the year thread is a young largemouth. Looks like it is at that little pond in that park (don't remeber the name) in Provo/Orem?

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Yep, that's a largemouth. When they are young like that sometimes the only way to tell is by lifting the upper half of the dorsal fin up. It should have more of an arch than the smallmouth which has a really flat dorsal fin. That fish you are holding also lacks the distinctive stripes on the face that even the younger smallies have. You can also see he is starting to develop the horizontal stripe and he looks a bit greener than a smallie. I know that little pond has actually put out largemouth up to 3 pounds before.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have caught several bass out of a little known pond near my home, and I have to say that the bass i always assumed to be largemouth look more like that spotted bass, but im no expert on bass having only caught a couple dozen in my lifetime.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts