Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently moved to the US from the UK so am learning myself.

My 15 year old nephew lives in Erda is super keen to get hunting and has got a tag for the oquirrh stansbury hunt (general season rifle) this fall.

Where should I take him to get started?

Should we look at the West side of the oquirrhs or head out towards the Stansburys?

Are there trail-heads, campgrounds or roads that make good starting points and should we plan on 4-wheeling or hiking?

I don't expect anyone to give up secrets but if anyone could help out to get us started would be greatly appreciated?

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Have you looked at google maps/google earth?? Sounds like a great place to take a look at where you are going.

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
Ali, there are several campgrounds on both the Oquirrhs and Stansburys.
One thing you guys will find out real fast, is that the unit is steep. Almost everywhere you go, it's straight up and down. Unlike most mnts. in Utah, those mountains have no roads at the top of them. Except for the pass in Middle and Butterfield canyons.
A good place to start, would be looking in the canyons just East of Erda.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Are there trail-heads, campgrounds or roads that make good starting points and should we plan on 4-wheeling or hiking?
All of these can be seen on google earth and give him a good idea on where he can find access points/layout of the area, if you can't see the relevance then read it until it makes sense....

Ya, it's really amazing how many deer you can see on google earth.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts