Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Orvis has dropped the price on their Pro Guide waders. From $279.00 down to $199.00.
Anyone have experience with this wader?

·
Registered
615 Posts
HighNDry said:
Orvis has dropped the price on their Pro Guide waders. From $279.00 down to $199.00.
Anyone have experience with this wader?
I do and have had for many years. I am assuming you are talking about the Pro Guide II although I have had both. The Tan ones with the mesh pocket/handwarmer in the front.
Here is the deal. Great waders, BUT, the weld next to the seam on the inside of the leg wears too fast causing small pin holes right next to the seam. Easy to correct. I ran a bead of Aquaseal down the weld on a brand new pair and they have been great for the past two years because of that.
I am going to go out on a limb here and say, that the reason for the drop in the price is to get rid of the old stock and make room for the new model which I have "only heard" that they are correcting this problem by running ONE seam down the leg on either the front or back instead of the side.
For $199. I would say go for it but get some Aqua seal first. They really are a comfortable wader.
Just my opinion

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the reply. I'll do as you have suggested and run some aqua-seal down the seam. Do you have a "best" method for applying it?

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Orvis waders - sh*ty. period. Get some from another brand for the same price. Better yet, get whatever Simms you can afford.

·
Registered
615 Posts
HighNDry said:
Thank you for the reply. I'll do as you have suggested and run some aqua-seal down the seam. Do you have a "best" method for applying it?
Either the little paint brush, or, squeeze some on and wet your finger (preferably with water and not your tongue :lol: ) and smear it up and down to keep it smooth and thin. Make sure to get the connections.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
flyguy7 said:
Orvis waders - sh*ty. period. Get some from another brand for the same price. Better yet, get whatever Simms you can afford.
Do you just hate Orvis for the name, or have you really had some experience with them? What did you not like about them. Bad fit? Leaky?

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Leaky. Lots of the outfitters around here rent out orvis waders to clients because they are relatively cheap. I have to deal with clients complaining about cold, wet feet on a much too regular basis. So far my Simms G4 pros have over 100 days and don't even have a pinhole leak. I averaged 25-30 days with Cabelas brand and maybe 40 days with Patagonia. Patagonia is MUCH better than Orvis but still nothing like the Simms.

Another thing, most waders have some sort of limited warranty. Putting aquaseal on a seam will always void that warranty. Pinholes are ok but you are never going to seal a seam leak 100% with aquaseal. Its like pissing in the wind.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you. I received some as a Christmas gift. I'll let you know how they perform for me.

·
Registered
615 Posts
flyguy7 said:
Leaky. Lots of the outfitters around here rent out orvis waders to clients because they are relatively cheap. I have to deal with clients complaining about cold, wet feet on a much too regular basis. So far my Simms G4 pros have over 100 days and don't even have a pinhole leak. I averaged 25-30 days with Cabelas brand and maybe 40 days with Patagonia. Patagonia is MUCH better than Orvis but still nothing like the Simms.

Another thing, most waders have some sort of limited warranty. Putting aquaseal on a seam will always void that warranty. Pinholes are ok but you are never going to seal a seam leak 100% with aquaseal. Its like **** in the wind.
\

They prefer you try to fix them yourself first so, I really don't think that will void anything. It didn't on mine at any rate. I use mine at least 4 days out of 7 during the summer, fall, spring months and maybe 2 out of 7 in the snowy winter. Two years old and no leaks.
I am not putting down Simms at all, I wear Simms boots.
You are talking about a $600. wader. In my opinion for that kind of scratch they better seal themself.
I do agree with your recommendations however. All good waders. Orvis gets a bad rap in my opinion and mostly from hear say, not from actual users.
I don't find them any cheaper then Patagonia, Cabela's, L.L. Bean etc.
For that matter I think I would look at WJ if I were in the market for a new pair.
I found clients got wet feet from even the Simms. Not from leaks but from COTTON socks and pants.
Maybe you could help me with this however, I have heard (don't you just love that HEAR SAY :lol: ) that Simm's is getting really tough about their warrenty on their waders. Have you had this problem?

·
Registered
22 Posts
flyguy7 said:

Another thing, most waders have some sort of limited warranty. Putting aquaseal on a seam will always void that warranty. Pinholes are ok but you are never going to seal a seam leak 100% with aquaseal. Its like **** in the wind.
You guide for Trout Bum out of PC?

·
Registered
980 Posts
madonafly said:
I found clients got wet feet from even the Simms. Not from leaks but from COTTON socks and pants.
LOL, so much truth to that. I was running up on a trail in the snow this past weekend, and passed some guys hiking in the snow with their levi's... They looked cold, can't imagine why. :roll:

I am surprised how much cotton is still used.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I agree. It is a lot of money to spend on waders. The only reason I have them is they were a "perk" of the job. The middle priced waders are darn good for the money.

I used to guide and work as the asst. mng for trout bum 2 since 2/03. I had a pretty bad falling out with the new owner and have moved on and now work purely as a guide for PC Flyshop, all seasons adventures, and RMO.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
lol true that, Madonafly! I love the guys that show up to the river in BUSINESS SUITS! Simms isn't too bad on their warranty. They wont just replace anything like Patagonia and Orvis, but if there is a defect in the product they will take care of the problem. Barbed wire fences are not warranty issues, nor are pinhole leaks. But premature seam delamination is another story. Have a Simms authorized dealer send them back for you and I honestly think that you will get better service.

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
Fished the simms G3 now for 4 years and love them still. I don't use them in the summer I much prefer to wet wade as soon as possible. Can't wait for wet wading and big bug season... Yummy!! -*|*- -*|*- --\O *()* *()*

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
flyguy7 said:
lol true that, Madonafly! I love the guys that show up to the river in BUSINESS SUITS! Simms isn't too bad on their warranty. They wont just replace anything like Patagonia and Orvis, but if there is a defect in the product they will take care of the problem. Barbed wire fences are not warranty issues, nor are pinhole leaks. But premature seam delamination is another story. Have a Simms authorized dealer send them back for you and I honestly think that you will get better service.
Typical "guide" response, "I love the guys that show up to the river in BUSINESS SUITS!" Prejudement of a client based on what he is wearing should not even be considered. How does this effect the way you treat him on the water? Maybe it should have you rolling dollar signs in your eyes, so you can get a bigger tip for sucking up to a business person.

Also, if the waders are crappy and the outfit selling them knows they are being cleared out because of a defect or inferior product, wouldn't it be nice to make the consumer aware of it upfront? What would be wrong with giving the purchaser the truth and let them decide if the feel they would still get their moneys worth at the discounted price? Are all fly shops, guides and outfitters working on the same integrity of the used car salesman?

·
Registered
615 Posts
(quote) if the waders are crappy and the outfit selling them knows they are being cleared out because of a defect or inferior product, wouldn't it be nice to make the consumer aware of it upfront?

Absolutely! As far as Orvis goes (and mind you I have no love or hate relation with Orvis) While working for the company, I saw the Pro Guide change once. Went from the Green material to the Tan and Articulated knees, built in gravel guard, hand warmers, thicker and I am sure a few other features. They then closed out the GREEN ones which really had no problems, just new design and probably new manufacterer.
Now they are closing out the Tan ones for a new design. Sure there has been a problem (with some) on this weld and I am sure that has been addressed on the new ones. My tan ones got a leak after heavy use for two years, but my partners hasn't and they still look as good as new, so this isn't a SURE FIRE defect, but one that can happen.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
HighNdry, maybe before you judge ME you should figure what the hell I am talking about. The business suit comment was in regards to "why would you show up for a fishing trip in a business suit" It has nothing to do with they have may have more money and may tip better. Some of my best tips have come from your average working class joe and some of the worst come from people with mega millions to spend. Your financial portfolio has really nothing to do with how you tip your guide.

And were talking about using them on a guide trip, not selling them. The OUTFITTER has to deal with repairing and sending back waders. THEY are the one who owns them.

What else to you have to bash on everyone who tries to give you some good and useful information? I was honest and helpful to you now I am being compared to a used car salesman. Well buddy, look elsewhere for info cause you wont get it from me anymore.

p.s. Good information Madonafly. First hand info is the best info.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
We were talking about waders until your guide attitude came through. Tell me who's doing the judging. I don't look at a guy and wonder why he shows up anywhere with what he is wearing. Someplaces in England, they are required to wear a jacket and tie to get on the water. Now I know you're a guide, your information is biased anyway. Why is it a guide has to always throw out the fact that they are a guide? I know guides that don't have people skills and don't know all that much about fly fishng. Why is it inportant for us to know a guide is a guide on a an open web site forum? Because they think it adds credability to what they write. It doesn't. I know punk kids that got into guiding because daddy ran an outfit. Guide qualifications mean nothing only to the guides themselves.

So if I show up in a pair of discounted Orvis waders are you going to wonder why?

·
Registered
980 Posts
HighNDry said:
We were talking about waders until your guide attitude came through. Tell me who's doing the judging. I don't look at a guy and wonder why he shows up anywhere with what he is wearing. Someplaces in England, they are required to wear a jacket and tie to get on the water. Now I know you're a guide, your information is biased anyway. Why is it a guide has to always throw out the fact that they are a guide? I know guides that don't have people skills and don't know all that much about fly fishng. Why is it inpotant foe us to know a guide is a guide on a an open web site forum? Because they think it adds credability to what they write. It doesn't. I know punk kids that got into guiding because daddy tan an outfit. Guide qualifications mean nothing only to the guides themselves.
It's pretty obvious who is judging who here.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts