Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi there,

I'm a novice hunter and planning to hunt the Panguitch Unit in 2019. I've hunted birds and small game but this will be my first big game hunt.

I have a place in Brian Head but I'm a non-resident. I'll be using a rifle and looking to get a OTC tag. Not looking for a trophy. Cow, Doe, Spike, Anterless, any legal take to get me started. At this point the challenge, the learning experiance and the meat are more important than the antlers on the wall.

From what I've read there are a lot of hunters in this area. I have a quad if I need to get back in and away from the easily accessible areas. Also have horses if that would be better.

Any recommendations to point me in the right direction? Deer vs Elk? What specific tag would give me the best chance of a successful hunt? Planning on scouting ahead of time. Just need some assistance selecting a target (aka Tag).

Thank you in advance!
Nick

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Your horses can certainly be a game changer when it comes to getting to places where other hunters can't, but I about rolled out of my chair over your comment about using a quad to get out and get away from the easily accessible places. I surely hope you aren't thinking about going off roading.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Unfortunately the only OTC rifle hunt available on the Panguitch unit for you will be the spike elk hunt. The success rates aren't great and spikes can be hard to find. If that doesn't deter you then it is certainly worth it to go out and give it a shot. Hunters who have spent a lot of time doing their homework and are able to beat the long odds can bring home a spike every year. You will have to draw a tag for the Panguitch general season deer hunt, but if you do draw it is a fairly decent General Season deer hunt with some nice bucks to be found. If you don't draw this year you will go into next year's draw with a bonus point and have a better chance of drawing. Utah's antlerless hunts start in June and you can put in for a Panguitch cow elk tag. If you are willing to try out bow hunting then archery elk tags are unlimited OTC and you can go chase cows and spikes every year while you learn the area and build points for a Limited Entry bull tag.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Your horses can certainly be a game changer when it comes to getting to places where other hunters can't, but I about rolled out of my chair over your comment about using a quad to get out and get away from the easily accessible places. I surely hope you aren't thinking about going off roading.
Was just throwing it out there. Maybe a poorly maintained fire road that is difficult to access with a truck? Could help get you half the way to your hunting area then hike the rest? I did say novice hunter, right.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Unfortunately the only OTC rifle hunt available on the Panguitch unit for you will be the spike elk hunt. The success rates aren't great and spikes can be hard to find. If that doesn't deter you then it is certainly worth it to go out and give it a shot. Hunters who have spent a lot of time doing their homework and are able to beat the long odds can bring home a spike every year. You will have to draw a tag for the Panguitch general season deer hunt, but if you do draw it is a fairly decent General Season deer hunt with some nice bucks to be found. If you don't draw this year you will go into next year's draw with a bonus point and have a better chance of drawing. Utah's antlerless hunts start in June and you can put in for a Panguitch cow elk tag. If you are willing to try out bow hunting then archery elk tags are unlimited OTC and you can go chase cows and spikes every year while you learn the area and build points for a Limited Entry bull tag.
That's exactly what I needed to know. Thank you for the info!

Based on that, I'll probably get a OTC Spike Elk tag and then put in for a General Season Deer tag.

Years ago I did a lot of archery but I'm out of practice and do not trust myself to place a responsible kill shot at any reasonable hunting distances. But the archery option is something I'll keep in kind for the future.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Was just throwing it out there. Maybe a poorly maintained fire road that is difficult to access with a truck? Could help get you half the way to your hunting area then hike the rest? I did say novice hunter, right.
I hear ya. The only problem is owning a 4 wheeler doesn't necessarily set you apart from the pack. Everybody and their dog has a wheeler these days and if that poorly maintained road led to good hunting ground you would have plenty of company with you. Horses or a youthful in-shape body and a little ambition can certainly put some distance between you and the other hunters, though.

·
Registered
10,293 Posts
ATVs are the horse of the 21st century. With the cost of land lately, cost of feed... most common people can't afford a true horse.

-DallanC

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
A cow elk tag would be a great way to get your first harvest. Depending on the unit, it might take a point or two, but it would be worth at least applying next summer and starting to accumulate points.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A cow elk tag would be a great way to get your first harvest. Depending on the unit, it might take a point or two, but it would be worth at least applying next summer and starting to accumulate points.
Will do. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I have a quad if I need to get back in and away from the easily accessible areas. Also have horses if that would be better.
If you can get in with a 4 wheeler, then IT IS an easily accessible area. Having horses, if i were you, i'd look for areas where OHV's are not allowed, (Roadless areas) and use my horses.

Personally, I always go for roadless areas, a lot of hunters aren't willing to put down 3 or more miles of boot leather into the mountains, just to get into the area they want to hunt. It is a lot of hard work, but a horse is your ace in the hole. I'll tell you what, being on foot most of the time, I can't out hunt a guy on a horse. He can cover more ground then I can, he can cover it faster then I can, he can pack more gear then i can, and he's a lot quieter then an ATV.

·
Registered
20 Posts
There are elk there but you have to work at it. Road hunting won't do unless you are extremely lucky.
This year I came across elk twice no more than 1/4 mile from a dirt road in the Panguitch unit.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts