Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Hunter/Friend
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a Franchi 2 seasons ago, and I am ok with it. But getting my new CZ made me realize I am a lot better shot than I thought! I looked in the box and it came with a shim set, I have gone down the rabbit hole and back on trying to understand what the numbers mean and how to maybe pattern it myself. But at this point, I would love some direction or some help! If you have a good Youtube Tutorial, or suggest a good range to do it, or person. I am all ears. This is all pretty new to me still, I have the tools, but again not really sure what I should be paying attention to.
Thanks.

· Registered
All of it. Hiking is terrible without a gun or rod in my hands.
951 Posts
Carlson's choke tubes I would think would have some information, and the CZ. It's pretty interesting stuff.

· Registered
1,546 Posts
I have patterned about 40 different shotguns. You are testing several things when patterning a shotgun and you will do different patterning exercises to determine the answers. The main 5 things I look at are:

1. Do you have a consistent shotgun mount?
2. Does the shotgun fit you?
3. Does the pattern/load/choke fit your expectations and needs?
4. Is the pattern/load/choke repeatable and fairly consistent?
5. Does the shotgun shoot to point of aim?

I could write a book on this stuff. It would be easier to talk ya through it--send me a PM with your phone number and we can chat

· Registered
4,330 Posts
Airborne has some great points!! Write that book and I'd be a buyer.

I've "tested" a few of the shotguns I use, and it would be expensive to test the vast amount of shells/chokes available now. Ironically, the best combo I found, the shells are nowhere to be found. This is the third year running I've not been in the marsh. Really don't miss it either.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts