Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished fileting my limit catch from Pelican. Everywhere I walked had solid 6"+ ice. Some parts had up to 8" slush, but it wasn't hard to find dry ice. I had the best sucess in about 9' of water. The blugills were smaller than I had hoped, the biggest were just over 9". Today was my first trip out to Pelican and I had heard all of the stories about the giant gills out there. Nine inches is big enough, but I was a little let down.

The Largemouths were biting well also. I caught four of them and put them all back. The biggest one I somehow hooked in the flesh behind the dorsal fin. I'm not sure how that happened. The hook came out easy and I put him back in the hole.

I got my Outback stuck for a while. I followed the tracks of some pickup trucks down to the water and as I was turning around to park, I got myself into a mess. It took me about 20 minutes to get free of the snow and mud. I ended up zipping right out of there and parking on the shoulder of Hwy 88.

There were about four other parties on the ice and everyone was catching. It was a long drive for me (took a whole tank of gas). I'm looking forward to Pineview freezing. If it's ready next week, I'll be there. If not, probably Mantua for Perch.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Puddles and I were there. Saw you get stuck and have to walk down from the road, didn't think we could get over to help you before you made it out. Our post will be up shortly.....

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
LOAH said:
Nice. I'm hearing good things about Pelican. I've never been able to justify the drive, but maybe someday.

Thanks for the report.
You won't find any slimers in there. Are you sure your willing to walk on the darkside? Many who have never return.

·
Registered
274 Posts
We were out there on Friday too. Sounds like Poo's group got the hot spot but we did OK. My boy and I got 46 between us including a nice 17" bass and about 4 10" class gills. Most of the rest of the gills were 7-9".
[attachment=0:7n4bwecw]bass.jpg[/attachment:7n4bwecw]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts