Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First trip on the ice this season was a success! Good way to make the best out of some unseasonably cold temperatures. It's been -15 most nights with highs around -5 for the past week, and below freezing for a week before. That's left us with 6-8" of good clear ice and an insatiable wanderlust to explore new lakes.

The Cupcakes and I brought a few friends out to try a new lake, and despite frigid temperatures (I stopped looking at the thermostat when it went to -18F on the drive), we managed to draw first blood in this year's battle. Rainbows and Arctic char for everybody! With a celebratory campfire with mom afterwards.

Sleeve Gesture Fish Cap Glove

Face Human Smile Sleeve Military camouflage

Sky Snow Cloud Water Azure

Sky Snow Glove Blue People in nature

Snow Tree Freezing Outdoor recreation Automotive tire

·
Premium Member
3,903 Posts
Those smiles are priceless, great job dad.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Looks like fun for sure. You are teasing the rest of us.
but.......that is too cold for me.
my ice fishing buddy retired and moved back home this summer.
so I’ll be doing some ice fishing this winter. 😎

We‘ll be hitting Panguitch mostly, and Fish Lake a time or two.
Need to get new line on the poles and get things ready to go.

·
Registered
All of it. Hiking is terrible without a gun or rod in my hands.
696 Posts
I read that somewhere south of you got like 12 feet of snow in 2 days. Is that true? Atmospheric river or something like that.

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I read that somewhere south of you got like 12 feet of snow in 2 days. Is that true? Atmospheric river or something like that.
Yeah, and then that same storm dropped an estimated 28 feet over 3 days on Marcus Baker (remote mountain ~13k feet about 75 miles from Anchorage. My property in Anchorage got 20" in 12 hours that day. Winter came early, and with teeth, this year. We're supposed to stay subzero for the next week.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I"m surprised you hadn't planned a ptarmigan expidition
Yeah, and then that same storm dropped an estimated 28 feet over 3 days on Marcus Baker (remote mountain ~13k feet about 75 miles from Anchorage. My property in Anchorage got 20" in 12 hours that day. Winter came early, and with teeth, this year. We're supposed to stay subzero for the next week.
I'm surprised you didn't plan some ptarmigan expedition or something.

• Haha
Reactions: johnnycake

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I"m surprised you hadn't planned a ptarmigan expidition

I'm surprised you didn't plan some ptarmigan expedition or something.
It's been a mite too avalanchy for my tastes! But if this weather holds through the weekend without dropping more snow I might give a spot or two a go after Turkeyday

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hit the hard deck with the cupcakes for Round 2 of the season today. Had to find some new friends to go this week, I wonder why?!

It was -19F when we got to the lake at 10:30, and -22F when our friends arrived and we started walking out. Oof, this winter showed up early and mean.

But we caught a bunch of char 10-16" and a few 14" rainbows. The kids had a riot running the Kitty Kat every which way, and smiles were had all around. Icing on the cake, it warmed up to -8F by the time we got back to the truck at 3:30, down right balmy.
Shoe Fashion Sleeve Street fashion Glove

Cloud Sky Mountain Snow Azure

Military camouflage Tent Camouflage Snow Marines

·
Registered
696 Posts
So awesome. How deep is the ice now with those cold temps? Do you get dark winter as in it's dark all day?

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was a bit surprised that the ice wasn't thicker. In a week of sub zero temps it only grew to 10" thick. Right now where I'm at it starts getting light out around 9 and it's dark by 4:45. At solstice here it won't be light until 10 and will be dark by 4.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts