Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always been curious about catching and releasing perch.
I understand if a perch comes up from too deep, their bladder expands and they will not survive a release. Is this true?
What is the rule of thumb? I always figured if I caught them in less than 10' of water they were ok to go back. Don't know where I heard that from.
Do I just look down the throat to see the bladder coming out or how would I tell if the perch would not survive and I would have to give em away?
Thank you for your insights.
I don't typically fish for perch, unless I am at fish lake and need some bait!

·
Registered
622 Posts
I not sure at what depth is best for releasing for perch but different waters can be different . Jordanelle for quite a few years I could release them from 40' and watch them swim back to the bottom and see them release air on the finder on the way down . Last year it was different for some reason . They struggled to dive down . I would think 15' would be a good depth but most of the time perch will be deeper . I have caught them at 70' some years and no way they will live .

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
I find 20' to be the border line.
If you bring the Perch up fast at around 20' deep, the air bladder will buldge out of it's mouth.
You can't miss seeing it.
How deep are you fishing?
Just drop your line in until it stops on the bottom.
Now, pick your line up at the ice hole and walk away from the hole.
When your jig comes out of the water lay the line out straight on the ice.
Measure the distance from the spot where you are holding the line, to the jig by stepping it off. Three feet per big step and now you know how deep the water is.
Remember to fish for Perch on the bottom. If you don't know if you are on the bottom, let some line out until it stops dropping and starts to coil. Now just take up enough slack to pick the jig up of the bottom and keep it in that general area.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I never said I did not have a depth finder. I do indeed.
The main question was at what depth should I not release any if I catch them, how deep?
Thank you all for the posts.
I guess I will go with if the bladders start coming out their mouth they should not be put back in, since they cannot despense that air out?
Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I did some research on this question. Looks like the research agrees with the experience of the forum members. Research indicates that Yellow perch have an approximate 5 meter leeway when ascending quickly (thats about 16'). So, 15'-20' would probably be the max depth for a safe release, perhaps slightly less than that for ice fishing because the water density would be higher.
My son is having perch sushi that we caught @ Echo for his New Years eve bash.
So Happy New Year to all my fishing firends!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts