Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New member to upland bird hunting, was wondering if anyone could give me a good location to get some decent shots in for pheasants. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
8,501 Posts
Are you new to Utah? Just curious. Utah is not a great or even good pheasant state. Pheasant habitats used to abound in what is now West Jordan, South Jordan, Herriman, Stansbury Park, Logan, Hyrum, and the southern end of Utah Valley. There are some very good pheasant habitats over in the Uinta Basin, and some down in the San Pete/Sevier counties. Just about any good habitats in Utah are private lands, and well protected unless you are related to the owners. So basically, long story short - there are a few public lands, and anyone who knows where they are WILL NOT give that location away on a public website.

Most of the pheasant hunters I associate with go to the Dakotas or Kansas once or twice a year for some real pheasant hunting. I'm going to Nebraska next weekend for it. If you want to hunt some birds in western Nebraska, I can give you the EXACT location of where to go. But in Utah - it ain't gonna happen.

·
Premium Member
8,501 Posts
I apologize here. I hope I didn't sound rude. It wasn't intended if I did.

I do want to welcome you to the world of upland hunting. It is addictive, and fun.

One thing I didn't mention in my post, was that if you really want to shoot pheasants, there are several "pay to play" places where you can go and shoot them. Some are better that others, and none are as good as hunting wild birds in the Dakotas, but it will give you some chances to get out and hit the turf. With the price of gas, it's a lot cheaper to spend $200 on birds on a private opertion than to drive to Kansas. Check some of the other threads in the upland hunting section for more of these discussions.

·
Premium Member
8,501 Posts
Are you looking at a guided hunt on a private ranch, or a DIY trip where you hunt the Walk-In access Areas?

I lived a couple of years in Nebraska and I have to say, they have an exceptional public access to private lands program. Every year, Game and Fish publishes a map book showing lands where hunting access has been pre-negotiated. (Other states including the Dakotas and Kansas do the same thing) Land owners get money from the habitat stamp fund, and hunters can hunt on those lands without having to knock on the farm house door. Speaking to western Nebraska, I hunted these lands exclusively and found birds throughout the season. I guess what I'm saying, is you can get on some good habitat without paying anything. At that point, you are in as much money as you want to spend on gas, lodging and food. You can stay in the small towns at local motels for pretty cheap - and most all of them let you bring the dog in the room at night - they are used to it. You can eat on the cheap hitting the cafe for breakfast, grabbing a box of chicken from the grocery deli, and dinner how you want it. Out of state license fees will run from $50 to $100 - depending on where you go. Here is a quick stubby pencil list for a long weekend trip:

License: $100
Gas: $250
Lodging: 3 nights @$50/night - $150
Meals - $25/day - 4 days - $100

That comes out at $600. Of that, you could split the gas/lodging with a buddy and take it down to $400/person.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts