Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How did your pheasant opener go first of all.

Well I must admit that mine went horrible, places in the past where I could go and see 2 or 3 roosters in 2 or 3 minutes were filled not with pheasants but the varmit coyote. I have counted six today and there just to spooky to get a shot off at them (killed a skunk though). This is by far my worst year so far, I knew there wasn't much store because of the small amount I seen this summer. I also had another question how much water to pheasants require and how often. Will they abandon an area that hasn't had water but still has food.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
#1 Deer - Pheasants will roost in trees or grassy fields near water or with heavy dew on the ground. That is when they get most of their water. They will then head to the feeding grounds and will take water in the feeding grounds if available, otherwise they will wait until its roosting time again.
If you want some fun Pheasant hunting - try and locate a thick cover of trees near water and good feed. Then wait for the roosting birds to come flying out of the trees @ first light.
We used to have such a spot in Layton - now its a subdivision. Good Luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts