Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
They're really fun to catch. They fight pretty hard, too. When I caught mine, I had to put two clasps through its mouth on my chain stringer to keep it on.

I'd still rather catch one of the few bows left in there. They've got to be huge by now.

That's a pretty good article, though. I guess if I catch another pike out of there, I'll keep it...Same with the walleye.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Great, yet another reason why I cant wait for spring. I lived in Flagstaff, AZ for a while and a couple lakes there had northern pike. They are a blast to catch. They'll take jerkbaits, jig-n-pig, cranks, spinnerbaits, and my favorite, topwater. I have never really fished Yuba because it's not a bass fishery, but now I have a big toothy reason to. If any of you have been lucky enough to get into a pike topwater bite then you know how aggressive and explosive the bite can be. Even you fly guys will love fishing for pike. Get rigged with a white mega-diver and at least a #7 weight rod. You will have a blast. Just skoot the mega diver throught he tops of the flooded bushes and sticks and hang on!

Does anyone know when the pike turn on at Yuba? I just may put Yuba on regular fishing rotation next year!

HockeyMan

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
Go now! I got mine on the 30th of September, right after the water got a major cooling.

It was really close to shore and took a minnow (meant for a big bow, but hey). I think they're feeding heavily on the brookies that congregate by the boat ramp at Oasis. The DWR dumped a bunch of tiny brookies in there and they've been good fodder for the pike and walleye.

If you go, use something in small brookie colors and I bet you connect.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A buddy of mine sent me a picture of a string of four pike he caught all over 30 inches using the techniques described in that story...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts