Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wasn't going to let last Monday's first ice fish'n experience at the View take the wind out of these beginners sails. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3053 Got back on the horse and ride it is what we say. :) So up to the View we went. :mrgreen: Being Friday we found ample parking in a pull out on the north side leading down to the Narrows.

Got the ole manual hand auger out and away we went. Ice is about 7-8 inches thick and the slush from Monday's trip is now completely frozen. Weather couldn't have been better....no wind and temp hovering above freezing. Started off with a variety of small jigs tipped with meal worms. Dropped the line to the bottom 25-30 feet two cranks on the reel to bring the lure slightly off the bottom....only had an occassional perch nibble. No takers until......

Fish'n partner decided to use a GrandpaD pointer (thanks GrandpaD :D )...put on a large spoon tipped with a night crawler bouncing the lure off the bottom to stir it up make one crank on the reel let it sit and amazing the bites started. Switched to a successful setup we've used numerous times for panfish...good ole snell #4 with silver spinner tipped with a small piece of night crawler. Success numerous bites icing 6 perch in a matter of 1/2 an hour. Perch were small at first....then per tips from you "pro ice fishers" (again THANK YOU!!) we popped out a couple of Perch eyes and iced two nice size perch. :)

Other anglers we're reporting spotty success for Crappies using Rat Finkees. They'd walk by us and we're amazed to see us catching Perch using just a worm right off the bottom.

Here's a picture of our first IMO ice fish'n success.

We have the fever now and can't wait to get back on "da ice." :wink: :wink:

·
Premium Member
8,234 Posts
WOW !! :shock: :shock:

Good job on your ice hole trip !! A little different story than your last one... :)

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
Uh oh...We soft water folks are dropping like flies! :shock:

The fever seems to be of epidemic proportion. There are likely several tender "ice flowers" being lost as I type this.

There's nothing I can do but sit and wait until it finds me. -)O(-

Great report, k2muskie. I'm glad you conquered the demons from last time and got into the perch. I'm also glad that the tips you got worked out for you.

Have fun with your new illness. :lol:

·
Premium Member
3,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
LOAH said:
Uh oh...We soft water folks are dropping like flies! :shock:

The fever seems to be of epidemic proportion. There are likely several tender "ice flowers" being lost as I type this.

There's nothing I can do but sit and wait until it finds me. -)O(-

Great report, k2muskie. I'm glad you conquered the demons from last time and got into the perch. I'm also glad that the tips you got worked out for you.

Have fun with your new illness. :lol:
LOAH come on you gotta give ice fish'n a try. I'll admit to one thing though...it's a little never racking raising the "pucker factor" when you hear the ice moan, crack, and groan directly under where you're at. -)O(- But as my saying goes "no guts no fish'n glory" and as the commercial goes "just do it" :wink: :wink:

·
Premium Member
3,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
fatbass said:
WooHoo! All last week I kept picturing you hip deep in an ice hole. :lol: :oops: I'm so glad you didn't give up, k2muskie! It shows that you are a very good angler to try different methods. How big and what kind of spoon were you catching them on? I have good success with 1/8 oz Swedish Pimples and Kastmasters but those aren't 'big' to me.

Enjoy those savory morsels. I'd be out today myself if I wasn't nurse maiding my flu-bitten wife. :(
Yep our first ice fish'n expedition was a "true" adventure. :roll: But never give up is our motto even you believe you've been dealt a "dead mans hand Aces over Eights." Anyways....

Fish'n partner was using the spoon just to bounce off the bottom and stir it up plus flashing it around to stir up some business. After partner started getting bites we switched to Snell hooks I believe #4 with a silver spinner. The Snell hooks come in a package with 6 or 8. Believe you me it's nothing fancy...just tipped the #4 with a piece of a night crawler.

Made a run to the "country boy store" and Angler's Den to increase our ice fish'n arsenal. We only have "large" lures to target the Pineview terrorist of the deep. Sure would love to hook into the large toothy predator ice fish'n. Hope your wife gets to feel'n better. Would love to see and meet you on the ice. :wink: :wink:

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
k2muskie said:
LOAH come on you gotta give ice fish'n a try. I'll admit to one thing though...it's a little never racking raising the "pucker factor" when you hear the ice moan, crack, and groan directly under where you're at. -)O(- But as my saying goes "no guts no fish'n glory" and as the commercial goes "just do it" :wink: :wink:
I've got my number. Next week will be my first trip out. I'm sure the ice is plenty safe where we're going. Hopefully the weather will cooperate.

Good luck on your next outing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts