Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished the Narrows, by the dam, this morning. Perch are very small!
Most were only about 4" long.
We moved around to try to find some larger fish, but to no avail.
I did hook up with 2 Tiger Muskie though. :D
Both broke off at the hole, which was just fine with me!
One looked to be about 28" and the other well over 30", at least that was what my son and I both guessed them to be.
The slush on top of the ice was refrozen this morning, but there was a soft layer between the new ice and the old ice that you could feel when the auger went through it.
The ice total was at least 6" thick.
We didn't find the crappie today, but a guy in the parking lot told my son that he iced 6 of them. Not sure how big though.

·
Registered
405 Posts
JAT83 said:
Nice report, that's awesome that you were able to get out there! I probably would have been out ice fishing, but my wife prefers I don't go alone and in the Honda Accord :lol: :cry:
My wife dosnt like me to go alone either. Its not hard to find a group of guys that will let you fish with them.

I get off in 15 minutes JAT, we could pack up and be on the ice in time for it to get dark.

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not a bad call. The parking was very bad. I had to use the 4 wheel drive to get back on the road.
Mantua would be a good choice for someone in a car. They keep things in good shape there most of the time.
Even Causey plows the road where you park.
You are not fishing alone when there are others on the ice. At least that's what O tell my wife.
Take a whistle with you so you can get someone's attention if you need it.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Congrats on the tiger muskies and thanks for the report. Poo Pie and I were up there on thursday and fished the same area, caught a few little perch. We had the slush to deal with, made for a wet day. What did you use for the muskies, what depth were you in?

·
Registered
952 Posts
Good to hear you got out Grandpa D! Sorry you didnt find any crappie and the perch were small, but hey at least you got out! Thats cool you hooked into a few muskies as well. Was it crowded there?

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The parking area by the Caretakers home was very crowded, but there was plenty of room on the ice.
I would guess that there were about 50 people in all.
We fished with Maniac plastics.
Ice Cuttrs and Gizzy Buggs, tipped with wax worms.
Dark Green Ice Cuttrs picked up both Tiger Muskie.
They were on the bottom in about 25' of water looking for Prech to eat.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I was at Causey and Pineview today. I went up on a scouting/photography trip and didnt have any fishing gear with me. I talked to a few parties on the ice at Causey and the splake and tigers right off the dam were giving the most action, but most were reporting a slow day. Ice was 3-6 inches with some spots with slush here and there. Give it a week and it should be froze with safe ice clear up the wheat grass and south fork arm.

Stopped at Pineview on the way back down the cayon and as Grandpa reported already there are people fishing the narrows but I didnt get to talk to anyone down there. I got some good panos of both places and Ill probally post links to them from the photography section.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts