Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took a drive up that way. A full sheet of ice the size of two or three football fields is just off swim beach. There is a sheet which stretchs from the marina to Browning point. Absolutely nothing in the **** narrow, still open water. Won't be long!! Will drive up every Sunday and report back.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Oh man I'm jumping out of my skin with anticipation! That's funny how you spelled the word "Dam". Thanks to all these people who are so willing to report their findings to their fellow fishermen. I don't know what I'd do without them.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was irritated when saw the narrow had no ice. That's the spot! I always thought the dam narrow was the first to freeze because of a lack of wind. I know its deeper than the rest of the lake, just thought it would freeze first. I just checked weather.com and huntsville temps are around 20 during the day. -5 at night. Won't be long. I can taste the fresy crappie and perch fillets. Man oh man!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
The Narrows at Pineview is not only the deepest water, but it is also the MOST windy place up there.
These 2 factors are the cause for the Narrows to ice over last.
Come on ICE!

·
Registered
483 Posts
Deep needs to be a little deeper, last time I was up it was only 43ft in the narrows and 5-11ft on the flat in front of the caretakers house. We really need to get some water in her.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Amen brother!!

Thanks Grandpa D for the ice explanation. Kinda makes sense with how it has formed so far. I think I talked to you up at Flaming Gorge this past August, but I'm just guessing. I saw this seasoned gentelman and his wife and watched them. I studied them from a far clean a few big kokanee at the Lucerne Marina that had turned somewhat. I was kinda sneaking around to see what was on their fishing poles ect, and listening to them talk in hopes of getting a tip. My buddy and I got off the lake at the same time and had no luck whatsoever. Anyway, I think the gentleman was you. I couldn't take it anymore and approached. The gentleman told me to head south way past horseshoe and troll around an island. Can't remeber the name of the island though right now. Anyway, needless to say, I had fresh grilled kokanee for supper, and few more suppers after that with the catch off the tip. Hope that was you.

What'a the Diamond member thing I see. Can I contribute somehow?

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Not my favorite place to ice fish unless i am with the kids, nephews and so on. they don't have the patients for the berry and Pineview keeps them entertained...

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ahhhhh but the taste of fresh fried crappie mmmmmmmmmmm, it just my southern roots I guess. With a mound of hushpuppies and melted butter on the side, it just heaven! Most folks around here have never heard or eaten hushpuupies that I've run in to.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I can't wait fatbass to take that first hike down the strip on the northside of the dam. As for hushpuppies, I like them with minced jalopeno, cumin and kernal corn. There's a place in Latyon called Holy Smoke, a barbeque joint tuck into restaurant row, that makes a pretty good hushpuppy (not to mention one hell of a rack of babyback ribs.) A full rack of ribs is just 16 bucks. I went to Smiths the other day and they were selling them raw in the meat case for 17 bucks. See you on the ice.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts