Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is there a lot of mud boats? how much room is there to spread out only been there once when it was mostly frozen.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I will be out there with two other mud boats Saturday but It will be pretty crowded there is some room but all depends on how far you go out I run for about 45 mins out before we set up so we get out pretty far it pretty slow running once you get out of the main canal is why it's takes so long but I am running a new boat this year so I will see how it does compared to last year

·
Registered
147 Posts
I will be out there with two other mud boats Saturday but It will be pretty crowded there is some room but all depends on how far you go out I run for about 45 mins out before we set up so we get out pretty far it pretty slow running once you get out of the main canal is why it's takes so long but I am running a new boat this year so I will see how it does compared to last year
Why is it slow running just cause there isn't much water?

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I have said it before and I will say it again,,

If you insist on hunting the pintail flats area in a mudboat, PLEASE be extra careful. The channel that heads out south is extremely dangerous and is technically considered an "airboat" flow.

The flow is narrow and has many technical turns and curves in it with very limited area to park a boat without being in the way of other traffic traveling the canal.

Imagine if you will, coming around a sharp turn and meeting an airboat head on. It has and probably will continue to happen and its only a matter of time until someone gets seriously injured there.

·
West side Utah Lake
3,905 Posts
I have said it before and I will say it again,,

If you insist on hunting the pintail flats area in a mudboat, PLEASE be extra careful. The channel that heads out south is extremely dangerous and is technically considered an "airboat" flow.

The flow is narrow and has many technical turns and curves in it with very limited area to park a boat without being in the way of other traffic traveling the canal.

Imagine if you will, coming around a sharp turn and meeting an airboat head on. It has and probably will continue to happen and its only a matter of time until someone gets seriously injured there.
I've crashed a boat once as a teen, it is no fun to go flying 15 feet through the air and landing against an immovable object. You are so unprotected in a boat crash that it isn't even funny.

Reactions: fish-n-fool

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
The water level will be very low because of irrigation. The sand bars are exposed and you will have to carry your boat across them. If you make it past the sand bars there is very little room maybe 6 spots or you will be on top of each other.
If you going to pintail good luck. We don't go there until November. Once water rises a little.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I haven't had as bad of experience as most I guess we go out every opener in the canal not the airboat channel and its never been to bad always doable

·
Registered
275 Posts
I ran in the canal and we had no problem getting out there were tons of boats out there though more than I expected we killed 14 birds between 4 of us could have had way more if we didnt stop shooting teal and the monsoon like rain that came through had stayed away.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts