Utah Wildlife Forum banner

61 - 80 of 369 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,688 Posts
Re: pitbulls... Waist of skin

Jig-I can appreciate your sentiment. My sister had your identical experience, which resulted in the stupid thing killing the neighbor's pregnant donkey. $2,000 later the dog was put down for some very poor fresh out of college young couple-very stupid decision they made and they paid seriously. I can certainly appreciate the dog being an extension of the owner, just like my Springfield XD is, but it has not ever moved from where I have left it while we were not together and has not ever threatened danger to anyone. It has no instincts or bloodlines, which influence its decisions either. There certainly is much truth in what you say that stupid people do naturally end up with stupid dogs and particularly breeds known for violence, but the dog certainly has a portion of the responsibility too.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
My best friend had one when we were kids. It used to follow us down to the jordan river to go hunting and fishing. My dad shot and killed it while it was in the process of killing 8 of our neighbors sheep. Not that he killed all 8 there was a Chow to. I really don’t need to defend my way of thinking; the facts are what they are. Pit bulls kill and maim more humans than any other breed of dog. JigginJus10, do you let your family pet around other people or dogs, is this dog your first dog? Could you turn it loose in a dog park with all the other puppies? That’s rhetorical we both know the answer.

·
Registered
42 Posts
cornerfinder said:
My best friend had one when we were kids. It used to follow us down to the jordan river to go hunting and fishing. My dad shot and killed it while it was in the process of killing 8 of our neighbors sheep. Not that he killed all 8 there was a Chow to. I really don't need to defend my way of thinking; the facts are what they are. Pit bulls kill and maim more humans than any other breed of dog. JigginJus10, do you let your family pet around other people or dogs, is this dog your first dog? Could you turn it loose in a dog park with all the other puppies? That's rhetorical we both know the answer.
No it's not a rhetorical question at all. I'm glad you asked. The answer is Yes to family, yes to dogs, no to this being my first dog, Yes to dog parks & puppies if they are vaccinated. I have had other people be shocked by the breed and how gentle she can be and have had people comment on how she can get dogs to play that normally won't play with other dogs. Sorry your Dad killed your friends dog, I have a friend who isn't the best dog owner either and his dogs always make me nervous.

I think the bottom line is responsible dog owners have responsible dogs. If you don't know how to train/raise a dog and aren't prepared to exercise it properly whatever that dog does is your own fault. A tired dog is a good dog, I don't care what breed it is.

G

·
they just like people with good ones and bad ones too; that atitptude might get your dog ate alive. labs is just as mean with all you guys backyard breeding.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Klark said:
they just like people with good ones and bad ones too; that atitptude might get your dog ate alive. labs is just as mean with all you guys backyard breeding.
You serious Klark?

·
Registered
289 Posts
Wow fellas... Generalize much? All pits are the devil! All pit owners are scum! You know what dogs I hate more than anything? Chows & dalmatians. Never met one that was even remotely friendly so they must all be evil. I'd like to see them all wiped out.

I may be the new guy, but I've owned several pits & would entrust each of them with the lives of my children. In fact, where I live now, the only way I let the kids go out (without me) is with the dog. I don't care what breed the dog is, any sign of aggression towards people or other dogs needs to be addressed. If it can't be weeded out, the dog should be "dealt with", but don't throw it all on the pits.

·
Registered
130 Posts
There have been many incidences where a good family with any type of guard dog has dealt with the issues that this little girl is going through. I have personally seen attacks from Pits, Dobermans, and Sheppard's. Every time the family was asked if they saw any sign of aggression they say..."No, this has been the most loyal and loving dog we have ever owned. The kids could do what ever they want to it and it would just sit there"
Most of the dogs out there will go and hide when they are done with being antagonized by kids of the family. These dogs just explode! Once their furry is unleashed look out! It is not a simple bite or nip to say hey I have warned you now leave me alone. It is I am going to take your arm, leg, FACE off because you have pushed my boundaries and now you must pay! Not all dogs are bad but dogs tend to do what is in their DNA: point, flush retrieve, attack, even be a lap dog. This is what they do and who they are so just be wise with your choice. I for one would not have a guard type dog if some payed me! My kids are too important to me to have that chance that this one is going to change my child's life forever! I do own a lab and if she bites anyone or my kids unprovoked (not if they are protecting my family) I will personally put a bullet in its head. I have zero tolerance for such things. I personally have been bitten by several dogs the most common one was a ****er spaniel but by far the worst was when I was attacked by two dobermans in a an orchard. I seriously thought I was dead. I was about twelve and if it was not for my brother and his friends I think I would have been. I get a sick feeling in my stomach when ever I see an attack type dog.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=16719122

I was hoping to never see this post again. But as you can see, it would be better to have alligators in your neighborhood than Pit Bulls. This is another sad illustration of what happens when you have a dog that was selectively bred for aggression and fighting. No different then when your new Pointer puppy points. It's pre-disposed to do so. My own daughter was nipped by the neighbors hound (mutt) dog last month. Thank god it wasn't more serious. As a dog trainer, owner and advocate, I know if it had been a Pit Bull it would've been more serious. Dog bites happen! But when it's a Pit, life changes. So I stand by my post. PIT BULLS, WASTE OF SKIN!!!

·
Premium Member
11,688 Posts
I see a post on Facebook today of an old friend's son with his face all in scars and stitches even right up against his eye. Apparently the pit bull was always so nice and now the neighbor apparently told him to not have his kids come over any more, classy people with classy dogs; they seem to be attracted to each other.

·
Registered
168 Posts
i know a lady on another forum saw the same thing happen to a kid when the neighbor's lab grabbed him up. in elementary my best friends little brother got his face tore up by a ****er spaniel. i could go but the point is obvious.
starting this urinating contest again is just a waste of band width. it makes as much sense to try to teach a pig to sing.

·
Registered
6,154 Posts
Pops2 said:
i know a lady on another forum saw the same thing happen to a kid when the neighbor's lab grabbed him up. in elementary my best friends little brother got his face tore up by a ****er spaniel. i could go but the point is obvious.
starting this urinating contest again is just a waste of band width. it makes as much sense to try to teach a pig to sing.
Yep because labs do this kind of a thing all the time.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -room.html :roll:

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
Thanks Fixed Blade,

Pops2

If you have any evidence of Lab attacks please share them. I certainly don’t want to be biased. That last article posted by Fixed Blade illustrates the blindness shared by Pit Bull Owners. If this was a friendly neighbor that never showed sigs of aggression, think he would still opt for a funeral for him. Buried in the same coffin as your killer (sick). Would you allow this for your daughter? That’s the mentality of Pitt Bull owners. So as I stated before, if you find any life changing dog attacks by any dog! please post the link. I think you will soon find that while all dogs may nip, bite or otherwise break human skin. No more than say a younger sibling. But you will find None… and I do mean NONE will compare to the notorious Pit Bull. Until then, please consider moving to the desert and raising rattle snakes, alligators and of course what would that be with out a few Wolves, Tigers and a few Mountain Lions. Oh… wait a minuet, these animals are not aggressive. Seriously they are not. They are predators they kill to eat and survive. Pit Bulls were selectively bread to fight and kill. There is an underground world that we are not privy to (I hope) Michael Vick types.

Sincerely
M

·
Registered
168 Posts
fixed blade said:
Pops2 said:
Yep because labs do this kind of a thing all the time.
actually, they do! a lot more often than pit bulls, but it doesn't make good news copy. being the most popular large dog breed, labs are also the large dog breed that bites more than any other (goldens & german shepards are next on both lists). they cause plenty of permanent disfigurements, just not many fatalities (some but not many). not to mention the under reporting because hey it was the neighbor's lab that never did such a thing before. and along w/ little yappers and goldens they are THE most common dog allowed to wander because dipthongs think they don't have to train or control them because "they are family dogs."
OTH if a pit bull scratches someone in play it very often gets recorded as a bite in local stats. in several states & localities within them, a scratch that draws blood & is reported IS counted as a bite.
the breeds collectively referred to as pit bulls are in the top five breeds in total population for medium/large dogs. yet not a single breed in that group has EVER ranked higher than 17 for TOTAL bites. even combined they don't break into the top 10. this group of breeds are the ONLY group for which that is true. ALMOST ALL other breeds position on the list for total bites is within 2 places up or down from where they rank in population numbers (there are a very few, mostly asian, breeds that rank much higher in bites than their population numbers). the only numbers that are unusual are fatalities. they do cause more fatalities than any other breed or gruop. what is not openly admitted is that the numbers are skewed by
1. counting mutts that may not have any pit bulldog in them as pit bull TYPE.
2. counting 3 breeds as one while all other breeds are counted seperately
further no one likes to admit that ALL dog caused fatalities are a minute fraction of all fatalities. so pit bulldog cause fatalities are an even smaller fraction of that. for example about 300 people a year die from lightning strike in the USA every year. meanwhile only 20-30 people die from ANY DOG attack. that means you are TEN TIMES more likely to die from lightning than ANY DOG. and since pit bull TYPES cause 1/4 of all fatalities, you are FORTY times more likely to die from lightning than a pit bulldog. likewise DEER cause about 200 fatalities every year which makes them about SIX times more deadly than ALL dogs and TWENTY FOUR times more deadly than pit bulldogs. anyone want to eradicate all deer or ban lightning? it doesn't matter how a person dies it's ALWAYS a tradgedy for their family. that said, the fear is mostly media driven hype. and none of this in anyway excuses irresponsible ownership of any dog.
so in a nutshell. just like the pitbull fans say they ARE less likely to bite. it's just a lot more dangerous when they do. but overall the danger is hype more than substance.
none of this will matter to people that
1. like to let media hype drive their life & emotions
2. have had a bad experience(s) with a dog(s) that fits their idea of what a pit bull is.
however the willingness of people to legislate away their neighbors liberty based on these irrational fears will always spark outrage in those whose liberty is at risk. i honestly would like to see about 75% of pit bull owners & breeders not own ANY dog. what i am not willing to do is pass laws that empower an already disfunctional govt to attack individual liberty. because history has shown such laws don't make anyone safer and they do get misused.

·
Premium Member
11,688 Posts
Pops, do you seriously expect anyone to take such a crock of crap for what you call statistics seriously? Saying that labs have more bites than pit bulls is akin to saying that there are exponentionally more crimes committed by whites in the Aryan Nation world than African Americans. There are about 100x more labs than PB's, so one would expect to see at least 20x more bites. To the notion that numerous dogs are mistakenly ID'd as a PB....it is because the dog has similar characteristics. I am amazed at how many people go so far out of their way to prove to everyone that they are so calm and nice; like teaching that alligators are really quite nice, but don't mistake them for a crocodile... :roll:

·
Registered
6,154 Posts
Huge we finally agree on something. Folks please take the time to click on the last link I posted, this was a good puppy, and would never hurt a fly. The poor lady that got murdered by one of these evil toothed spawn of Satan, was an active person trying to convince people how these dogs are well mannered, and only dogs that are beat will attack

61 - 80 of 369 Posts