Utah Wildlife Forum banner

81 - 100 of 369 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
fixed blade said:
Bull ^&#@ show a link of a lab killing a full grown able bodied human. A lab killing a person wouldnt make the news??? I want what your smoking!
you do realize that even with pit bulldogs less than 20% of fatal attacks even remotely fall into this catergory. MOST fatal attacks involve children and the elderly. even among full grown adults killed many of those are in some way physically impaired, like the pregnant lady.
however from this study (DBRF means dog bite related fatalities):
Pinckney LE, Kennedy LA. Traumatic deaths from dogattacks in the United States. Pediatrics. 1982;69l:193-196.

"Pinckney and Kennedy studied human DBRF from May 1975 through April 1980 and listed the following breeds as responsible for the indicated number of deaths: German Shepherd Dog(n = 16); Husky-type dog (9); Saint Bernard (8); BullTerrier (6); Great Dane (6); Malamute (5); GoldenRetriever (3); Boxer (2); Dachshund (2); DobermanPinscher (2); Collie (2); Rottweiler (1); Basenji (1);Chow Chow (1); Labrador Retriever (1); YorkshireTerrier (1); and mixed and unknown breed (15)."

two VERY important points about this study.
1. matching was not illegal in more than half the country and the breed was not well known outside of the oldtime dogmen
2. they did NOT accept media ID of the breed but required "competant ID" by representatives of the HSUS. this is important because later studies after the HSUS media campaign to outlaw matching, show a HUGE increase in pitbull attacks and DO use media ID, which i have personally witnessed as faulty.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Huge29 said:
Pops, do you seriously expect anyone to take such a crock of crap for what you call statistics seriously? Saying that labs have more bites than pit bulls is akin to saying that there are exponentionally more crimes committed by whites in the Aryan Nation world than African Americans. There are about 100x more labs than PB's, so one would expect to see at least 20x more bites. To the notion that numerous dogs are mistakenly ID'd as a PB....it is because the dog has similar characteristics. I am amazed at how many people go so far out of their way to prove to everyone that they are so calm and nice; like teaching that alligators are really quite nice, but don't mistake them for a crocodile... :roll:
actually Huge, (using your race analogy) what most studies do is say that latinos, native americans and asians are really the same and so all their stats are lumped together and while we're at it we'll count anyone that remotely LOOKS mixed with these races as well EVEN if they don't have any latin, native american or asian ancestry.
then they look at the fatal attacks (and may even include act of self defense) without looking at total violent crimes committed. because somehow rape, robbery and violent assualt are not important just the killings. what i'm saying is that lumping them together is inherently incorrect and ignoring the other crimes creates a false perception that the other more numerous races are less dangerous.
since i worked a dogman's yard and have seen matches in 3 countries, including the USA before it was outlawed. i actually think most people that own them shouldn't own a goldfish. i just don't want a law saying that or a law saying they should be eradicated (they actually can serve many useful purposes in the RIGHT hands). it just sets a bad precedent. I am however all in favor of serious legal ramifications for all dog attacks. as it is most people get of with a shake of the finger & a stern talking to, if that.

·
Premium Member
11,688 Posts
Good point Pops! Wait, what was your point? How does this study prove anything about PB's being a good dog to have? I would dare say that the PB's make up less than 5% of the US dog population while the Lab makes up about 30% if not more, yet there were 6 more fatalities...That is a pretty significant difference.
Tell us why you like them and have them? What are your other pets?
I have a lab, fish, salamander and a cat they are all friendly except the salamander, but is fun to watch him eat worms.

Fatal attacks clearly are very rare, we agree on that. However, a serious bite is much more common and most PB's will void your homeowner's hazard insurance as it should since the insurance company will certainly get sued in the case of my friend who had his 4-year old attacked. I just really admire the dad for having not killed the dog; I would have been very upset and insisted on the useless mutt being destroyed then found a neighborhood with a little less losers in it who would even want such an animal.

·
Registered
168 Posts
i don't own any at this time. but i have owned dogs that would fall under the type designation. beside working them as a kid i have a long history of hog hunting and many dogs in that field fall under the type designation even w/o any pit bulldog blood. in the right hands they are very useful. in the wrong hands they can be a nightmare, but that is equally true of anydog regardless of breed.
what i have right now is a greyhoundX that has caught and killed squirrel, rabbit, possum, skunk, ****, feral cat & grey fox. he has caught and held wild boar (not very well, needed the bulldog's help) and whitetail deer. i hope to get him on red fox, coyote, bobs & maybe w/ a little luck lion.
i also have a dane i picked up from the shelter in lindon. she has caught and killed **** & a coyote pup. i hope to get her on adult coyote and the cats as well. and when visiting freinds & family in TX & CA, i'll try her on hogs.

·
Premium Member
11,688 Posts
For that purpose I could see why you would like them. My sister had one and the thing killed a neighbor's donkey, which cost her about $1,000; expensive lesson to learn.

·
Registered
168 Posts
because several people asked here are the links to several bites serious enough to make the news keep in mind this is just what was easy to find on the net & is only intended to show that all dogs are dangerous.

little old but a pomeranian
http://articles.latimes.com/2000/oct/09/local/me-34015

weimaraner
http://www.nowpublic.com/health/weimara ... family-dog

border collie
http://www.vosizneias.com/24219/2008/12 ... family-dog

poodle
http://www.wboc.com/story/10769319/girl ... dle-attack

golden retriever
http://www.wavy.com/dpp/news/local_news ... red-by-dog

another golden, this one w? a previous bite history
http://www.southcoasttoday.com/apps/pbc ... sitesearch

yet another golden retriever
http://www.citytv.com/toronto/citynews/ ... led-by-dog

lab & labXborder collie
http://www.understand-a-bull.com/Articl ... 200710.pdf

another lab
http://www.understand-a-bull.com/Articl ... 200710.pdf

·
Registered
12,174 Posts
The problem with stats is that depending where you are looking at them, why you are looking at them, and what data you are ignoring/including allows one to come up with just about any desired conclusion.

For me it is very simply, I have children one of whom is autistic, and I will NEVER own nor allow my children to play with a pitbull or anything resembling a pitbull. What others do around their kids is their problem, but I assure you ANY/ALL pitbull looking dogs that wander on to my property will be swiftly exterminated!

·
Registered
8,221 Posts
I'm going to get a pet rattlesnake and keep it in my back yard. While I'm at it, I think I'll buy an 84 Camaro that doesn't run and park it in my driveway, next to a stack of mud tires, random car parts, an old lazy boy that's been there for 6 years and 3 boxes of faded nudy mags that I can't bare to part with because they were my daddy's.

I think the snake will accent the sun bleached flamingos that adorn my weed infested rock garden quite well.

What? There's garter snakes all over the place in my neighborhood. Aint no diff'rnt.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
-_O- Stop making sense Tree! No fair!!!

Hey Pro, I own a English Pointer, Lab, and a ****apoo...can your son play with any of them??? Wait, that would make sense too, sorry to jump into this ridiculas discussion.

I absolutly love dogs. I can't imagine anytime in my life I won't own at least one. Pits are completely worthless. I have encountered one or two that were very friendly, still would not trust one with my children. There is a cure for their irrational behavior, its called a .22 eardrop. :shock: ;)

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
Go ask any vet what dogs they HATE to work on. #1 Chow #2 Shar Pei #3 Pit Bull. #4 Rottweiler. Or any combination of the four.

Any dog can be sharp and bite. But pits are PRONE to it. It's in their genetic makeup. Period. Look at why they are bred. That should be enough evidence right there not to ever trust them.

·
Premium Member
8,234 Posts
Petey was a pit bull....the only dog breed that would work with these kids.

·
Registered
168 Posts
the original was a pit bulldog. the dog in the remake is an american bulldog which is a butcher's type not a game/pit type.

·
Registered
168 Posts
TEX-O-BOB said:
Go ask any vet what dogs they HATE to work on. #1 Chow #2 Shar Pei #3 Pit Bull. #4 Rottweiler. Or any combination of the four.

Any dog can be sharp and bite. But pits are PRONE to it. It's in their genetic makeup. Period. Look at why they are bred. That should be enough evidence right there not to ever trust them.
CITE YOUR SOURCE. show us the poll.

first off Bob, 90% of the hands on is done by the vet techs not the vets themselves.
i can go to a pet dog forum where at least four members are vet techs and they will ABSOLUTELY disagree with your assesment as will the dog groomers on the board. for most of them the bulldogs across the board are their FAVORITE breed to deal with because they are steady & have a high pain tolerance so they don't snap at them.
i know this to be true because they have made these statements at least three times in in the two years i've been on it.
(although most will agree w/ the chow being on the list their number 1 PITA dog is generally something smaller & snappy like poodles & spaniels)

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Holy $h*t...are we still talking about these varments???

·
Registered
168 Posts
bwhntr said:
Holy $h*t...are we still talking about these varments???
unfortunately. some people will gladly let media hype drive their irrational fear. and the other side will always oppose that fear out of concern that it will be used to undermine their liberty (because history has shown it will).

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Hmmm...maybe. However, I have more use for a coyote than I do a Pit. But, thats just me.

·
Registered
168 Posts
bwhntr said:
Hmmm...maybe. However, I have more use for a coyote than I do a Pit. But, thats just me.
that's fine until you decide that because you have no use for on no one should have them. it's no different than the gun grabbers targeting assualt rifles or enviro whackos targeting trucks & SUVs. i personally would have no use for any rifle or bow if the law didn't prohibit my preferred method of hunting. BUT i would never try to dictate my preference to other people as law. unfortunately the vast majority of american no longer think that way and will gladly vote away your liberty to massage their own feel goods.

·
Administrator
21,349 Posts
I have a pit bull:

OK, OK, it's an old joke of mine. Some of the newbies haven't seen it. Leave me alone.

·
Registered
8,221 Posts
I'd rather live next to a pedophile than a a pit bull. Truth. (I share a fence with a pit bull owner. Mean, nasty, loud critters that belong in a cage.)

And goob, I have a fruit-a-phobia as well. So keep those icky things to yourself.

81 - 100 of 369 Posts