Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before anyone gets upset, I did try to take pictures but the battery on my phone died before I got the chance.

I was up driving the Nebo Loop this evening and noticed even more of a plant that's been taking over the past few years. It seems to grown in large patches, especially near water. It's similar to agave in the way that it grows; several broad, spear-shaped leaves coming from a single base. It blooms with large yellow flowers.

I'm sure that's not the best description but does anyone have any idea what it is? I've done a google search and flipped through my books but I'm not seeing it.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Some of those look very close and others not so much. I'm going back up tomorrow. I'll take a few pictures and post them.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
There are two types of balsamroot in our area, and one mules ear. All three have a similar looking flower (Asteraceae - sunflower family). The balsamroots have dull grayish green leaves, while the mules ear has brighter green leaves. From your description of growth it sounds more like the mules ear.

·
Premium Member
2,741 Posts
they have a tendency to get make bowhunters far noisier than they care to be.

Reactions: Kwalk3

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've also heard about it but never used this app because it wasn't necessary. But now I'm interested in finding out how it works. So, I love to walk in the woods and find new plants that I don't know anything about. And I think testing such an app would be like an interesting game for me. What do you think about it? I admit that I would like to have a beautiful garden, but unfortunately, I don't know how to grow plants correctly. That's why I think I should start with simple flowers that don't require much care. Thus I found a blog about plants https://www.hobbyplants.com/cat-palm-care-guide/ and I want to try growing a cat palm. If you already have this experience, please share your tips with me.

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
I'm glad this was brought up. We've been thinking a lot lately about future landscaping ideas for the new property. There are some trees that we've seen this spring / summer, and a couple that I'm not familiar with what they are, that we really like. I've been too lazy to go pull some leaves from the tree and send them with my daughter to the nursery...

....but I think I'll go research some plant identification apps right now!

Spammers be like:

·
Registered
4,706 Posts
Speak for yourself. I've been holding on to all sorts of rage and resentment for years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rookie move. Never let the children know you're actual rage. Just like you don't get them wet or feed them after midnight.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Wait, hold on a second, did 2020 also release Gremlins while I was gone? That could actually be fun for a bit and help increase hunter recruitment.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts