Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just saw that there was 5,300 3.6" rainbows planted in Kolob this summer. Why would they do this? When I have seen many reports about the larger trout having been aggressively feeding on the minnows and shinners. Seems like to me that these small trout will be easy targets from the thousands of trophy sized trout in this lake. Also, the lake is as low as it has ever been. So there is less cover for these small fish and the larger ones are alot more concetrated.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Why not? If they don't plant any fingerling trout, what will replace all those 'trophy' fish when they die off? Some will get eaten, but they account for that when they plant. I'd rather see a bunch of fingerlings planted and some get eaten than a bunch of catchable size finless trout that are as dumb as a box of hammers and just as ugly. Fingerlings grow to be about as good as wild trout.

·
Registered
385 Posts
kolob has trophy trout in it? if trophy is 18 inches than okay. i dont know why kolob just wont come around anymore and maybe the dwr planting rainbows in there will help it out.

i agree with scotty on this one though.

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
chuckmiester said:
kolob has trophy trout in it? if trophy is 18 inches than okay.
Our expectations continue to rise. I remember when an 18" fish really was a trophy. Now people complain about an 18" trout not being big enough...

5,000 3" fish is nothing to be concerned about. You have to replenish your supply at some point...

·
Registered
80 Posts
just a few weeks ago my cousin caught a 23 3/4" rainbow out of kolob, 14 3/4" girth, i saw it myself and have pictures. there's some really nice fish in kolob, much bigger than 18"

·
Registered
385 Posts
wow :shock: just hearing about that renewed my faith for kolob. anytime i would visit our ranch (sort of) in virgin we would hit kolob, but i never saw/heard of anything big coming out of their. most the locals would just say the fishing went down hill since they drained it a while ago and never came back i guess kolob is on the climb and the big fish are coming back though.

·
Registered
952 Posts
brandonlarson said:
just a few weeks ago my cousin caught a 23 3/4" rainbow out of kolob, 14 3/4" girth, i saw it myself and have pictures. there's some really nice fish in kolob, much bigger than 18"
I would like to see that. Not because Im skeptical at all, I dont even know anything about kolob, I just like seeing pictures of big fish! Good job. And I agree with Scottyp as well, some will survive and grow bigger, and some will be food.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Sorry LOAH. No minnow soaking allowed @ Kolob. :wink:

On a serious note, you should check it out if your ever down that way. The scenery is very pretty. You would dig it![attachment=0:xzkvrbn2]soutah3.jpg[/attachment:xzkvrbn2]

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
ScottyP said:
Sorry LOAH. No minnow soaking allowed @ Kolob. :wink:

On a serious note, you should check it out if your ever down that way. The scenery is very pretty. You would dig it!
That's okay, I could use more practice with still water lures anyway.

And you're right. I'm sure I'll love the surrounding area as well. I've seen some pics and got all giddy inside. I'm thinking a nice camping/Zion trip next year would be perfect for such a venue.

·
Registered
80 Posts
this is the hog my cousin caught a few weeks ago out of kolob, i've seen some big fish but this one was in a class of its own. it was 6 1/2 pounds, 23 3/4" long and 14 3/4" girth. what was amazing about this fish was that even at 23 3/4" he was amazingly fat. i've caught some 16"-22" fish that were football shaped but this fish was the same way just bigger in all directions!! i know he was fly fishing and he said that it took about 20 minutes to get it in.

·
Registered
483 Posts
BrookTroutKid said:
LOAH said:
"Some will be food"

...Yes, but for whom? :twisted:
Right now I am guessing the bigger fish, pretty hard to eat a 3 inch fish. :D
I read an article some time ago that stated that a football shaped fish (Trout, crappie, etc.) will eat up to 1/3 its length and a long slender fish (musky, walleye, etc.) will eat up to 1/2. I'll see if I can dig it up.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Wow, that 24"er, (I like to round up!) is one nice looking hog!!! Congrats to whomever it was that caught it.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Wow thats a beautie of a fish! Ill bet that was an awesome fight on a fly rod. Congrats to the cousin!

·
Registered
385 Posts
dang that is the fattest fish i have ever seen. after seeing that fish i guess there truly are trophies in there. props to your cousin

1 - 20 of 39 Posts