Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had a couple questions for anyone that knows about this unit. I drew this tag for the November to December hunt. I have spent some time out in that unit, but not that late in the year. My question is if this is a productive unit this time of year? My dad has a cow tag in a different unit, and am wondering which one I should focus on because they are for the same dates. If the Boulder East unit isn't that good, I will just focus on getting my dad his elk. Thank you in advance for the help.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Elk were still up high during the general season deer hunt. Shouldn't be hard to find them. SidVicious, PM me and I will tell you where we were seeing them.

We filled 4 out of 5 East Boulder tags during the muzzy deer hunt. The elk were in the same area and still screaming their heads off.

I have a question as well however about the west side late cow hunt. I have hunted the east side since I was 12...over 20 years. But until this year I have not hunted/been over to the west side of the mountain. My son has a tag for the late cow hunt starting on December 19th. (His 12th birthday is on the 5th). I have no idea where the elk will be that late in the year. Any advise out there in the wildlife forum world? PM me if you would like.

Been over on the west side for two scouting/ hunting trips this year. There is a lot of good elk county over there. Just don't know where to start.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
My son has a tag for the late cow hunt starting on December 19th. (His 12th birthday is on the 5th). I have no idea where the elk will be that late in the year. Any advise out there in the wildlife forum world?
They will be in 2 places:

1. Sweetwater Ranch
2. Dutton

Lot's of country over there. Plenty of places for the elk to be. The real question you will need to ask yourself (and I'll be asking it to myself as well!) is: how are we going to get to the elk when El Nino rears his head and starts dumping snow?

Might need the snowmobile this year!

As for the OP: East Boulder will have elk around all winter too. Those slopes around Lower Bowns, and to the south, will all have elk all winter long.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks PBH! Sounds like there are enough elk on the unit it give it a go. Hopefully I can fill the freezer!

·
Registered
232 Posts
I am trying to talk him into turning the tag back in so he will have a 100% chance of drawing the cow tag he wants next year. We DON'T need another elk. 1 elk this year (30 lbs of burger from last years as well), a deer from this year and a 3rd of a beef from the in-laws.

He says he could shoot it and then I could cut it up and give it to a family who is in need of food. Good idea........if he helps cut it up.

I have thought about the snow thing and I have snowmobiles lined up just in case.

The only thing he has in rebuttal is he knows Dad wants him to shoot one as bad, if not worse than he does. I have an absolute blast taking him out! On the youth pheasant hunt I was just as excited as he was in his success. He has a youth fall turkey tag as well. It is like Christmas for me this fall. :mrgreen:

I will PM you for specifics if that is OK PBH.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
PM all you want. I'll tell you everything I know. I have no secrets.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts