Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drew this unit on my second choice for a cow tag, and wondered if anyone has any experience with this unit? My dad drew a different unit and I am thinking I may turn this tag in and focus on his since I don't know this unit and wasn't really expecting to draw. Anyone hunted here before?

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sweet! That's good news. Maybe I'll hold on to it then. Hopefully I can get some scouting in before the hunt starts. Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
9,776 Posts
Just remember where the elk are now is not where they are going to be at the end of November. So unless you also hold a deer tag for the area most of your scouting is just going to be looking at animals that are going to move once the snows hit.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I have hunted that area several times over the past 10 years for general deer in October. It holds a lot of elk that time of year snow or no snow.

·
Super Moderator
9,776 Posts
I have hunted that area several times over the past 10 years for general deer in October. It holds a lot of elk that time of year snow or no snow.
I have also been in the area during the deer hunts and have seen the elk moving out for lower country, and nothing up high where the elk spend most of the summer months. But as I said he also needs a deer tag if he wants to hunt cow elk during the October deer hunt.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the help, guys! I'll try my luck and see what happens. Maybe scout it later in the year and see what's up. I guess it'll depend on what happens with the snow too

·
Registered
232 Posts
The elk will still be where they are in the fall. Unless there is an over abundance of snow. I have filled cow tags down there at between 9000- 10000 ft. 3 or 4 times during November. Now it is just easier to just fill them if I am down there for another hunt.

Good tag though, should be able to get meat for the freezer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts