Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This new unit seems to skip the Parker mountain antelope hunt. I can't find any info on why this hunt was set up? I can see cancellation of the Parker hunt due to incredible continuing drought and obscene cattle overgrazing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
They want to kill the few antelope that are left that live in the pines and scare those that aren't killed back to the sage brush

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Yep--the goats have been pushed and killed and pushed off the sagebrush sea area of the Parker mtn continuously since about 2007. They have moved higher in elevation up to the pines and aspens as they can find some sanctuary there from the hunters and a little less cattle there but not much. The DWR in their infinite wisdom has determined that the best way to kick the goats back to the sagebrush is to kill them off the top. I think a better proposal would be to cut down the cattle grazing to sane levels and cut tags for a few years. I spend 4 to 6 weekends a year on that range (even hunted it in 2005), I know the amazing potential for that range. It was so good and so fun back then. Unfortunately it's not going to get back to it's former glory with this plan.

·
Super Moderator
9,415 Posts
The problem with cutting back the cattle and sheep grazing is that the DWR has none or very little input into the permits.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
With this years water issues, you will see a decrease in permits. It's a disaster about to happen.... Craze off the grasses that root structure holds the soil in place and get a BIG rain event..... Well, say hello to a slide and destruction of the land.

·
Registered
10 Posts
This years range conditions were some of the worst I have seen in over 30 years... There were times when the grass would go to your knees....not for over a decade has it been like that. This past year I saw more dead cattle then I have ever seen, there were cows and deer with hips showing in early September. The antelope herd used to be a factory for the rest of the state for transplants and there were still herds of 50-100 and many bucks you could actually see the horns on instead of the 10" variety that is the norm now. Your lucky to see one 13"=-14" buck in 3 weeks of hunting. The deer herd has fallen so hard now, not sure it will ever recover. I am grateful they finally shut Parker down, but because they need to keep the money flow coming, they figured they would hit the herds in the trees, there are not that many more there, but at least there are a few and maybe they can hide a bit better in the trees. I am scared to see what the future holds for my kids for hunting the entire Boulder but maybe it is just my observations from 30 years of hunting the area and i am a bit jaded.:smile:

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We hunt all over Boulder and don't see many antelope in the "trees". Feed is gone in the high areas and elk dropping lower won't find feed. May be a big die off. Cattle could have been pulled off earlier with out problem as there was a good hay crop this year.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
The drought plays a big part of range conditions for both wildlife and livestock. But I think they have been running cattle on the Boulder for a very long time. This can't be the first time there has been problems.

I'm pretty sure those ranchers were feeding there cattle for an extended time after they pulled them from the range. Not much market for beef this fall.

·
Super Moderator
9,415 Posts
Not much market for beef this fall.
Until you go to buy half of a beef then you find out that you have to pay a premium price for it

The rancher and consumer get hosed and the others make lots of money

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
I'm not sure who is making the money but you only had to see how many calves were in the fields this fall waiting either for buyers or the price to go up so they didn't lose money.

No doubt there are a few on here cheering on the demise of the ranchers. They have been hit as hard as anybody with this shutdown BS.

Boulder is a great area but I don't see the grazing allotments going away. Will they be adjusted? I'm sure they will be. But that results in hardships for some of the locals. Not just a bad hunting experience.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
I'll get some garbage for saying this.......don't care

The farmers and ranchers are good hard working people. Salt of the earth.
They teach their kids values, responsibility, and work ethics.
I hire any and all of their kids I can. Always have. They are not all perfect, but way above the average.
Without the water and range development ranchers and farmers have done over the generations there would not be near the wildlife there is today.

·
Super Moderator
9,415 Posts
You also need to remember that if it wasn't for the cattle and sheep ranchers out on the range there would be very few water holes for wildlife to use. Those ranchers build and keep them clean for their stock which also benefits wildlife.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I'll get some garbage for saying this.......don't care

The farmers and ranchers are good hard working people. Salt of the earth.
They teach their kids values, responsibility, and work ethics.
I hire any and all of their kids I can. Always have. They are not all perfect, but way above the average.
Without the water and range development ranchers and farmers have done over the generations there would not be near the wildlife there is today.
Yes there needs to be some balance though. The ranchers have their way on Boulder - not to the betterment of wildlife; however, the south side of Pine Valley Mountain had a better deer hunt when there were grazing permits. Wish we could move some cows off of Boulder and relocate them between Leeds and New Harmony.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
I am all for balance.
That is kind what I was trying to say.
Guess I didn't say it very well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts