Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Would just like to tell you guys a little story. I went out on the youth hunt with a friend and his boy and his boys friend. They did not have a dog and wanted to see Sandy at work. Now ill be the first to admit that sandy is bye no means a champion hunter, however she is well behaved. and always on the leash when she is not getting birds for me. well to make a long story short she was attacked by another dog while we were waiting for our next shots!! This other dog was not leashed had no collar and a very ingorant owner. Sandy now has 32 stitches on her right front leg and shoulder and doesnt get to go hunting for 6 weeks.(oh yeah And a $250 dollar emergency vet bill). what gets me is the owner of this dog literally ran away from us and left the marsh. without even an apolgy.He almost had a dead dog but my friend grabbed his sons gun before he pulled the trigger.(Didnt want me or sandy hurt more.) any way please control your animals out in the field. and not let this happen to you. Thanks for reading this long ol post.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh Yeah Just so you know there is a police report . and I got to be stitched up right after Sandy. The kids were upset But I talked to them and let them know not all Hunters act like that just a choice few. And that the good ones by far outweigh the bad ones. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
599 Posts
Man that sucks to hear about that experience. What a crock. Did he get his dog and take it with him or is there still a savage beast running the marshes of utah? I totaly think you should have 100% control of your dog. Leash shock collar what ever it takes. Im glad my dog has no desire to be agressive twards anything or anyone. But still gotta keep em with ya and under your control.

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
man thats terrible,,,that other dog would have been feelin the butt of my gun slammin down on it... I hate seein stupid hunters bring there un-trained house pets out to the marsh,,it ends up affecting so many other people out there....leave the pets at home or take the time to get off your butt and train them,, they owe it to their dog and other hunters as well...

·
Registered
19 Posts
That sucks man; I hope everything turns out OK. The same thing happened to me last year on the youth opener, except we did not end up with stitches.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Bummer...

What are the legalities of injuring or killing a dog that's attacking your dog? I've got so much time invested in having trained, titled my lab that I'm not sure I could control myself.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Man that really blows!!

That other dog should have been feeling pain also! :twisted: I would have smacked the crap out of that dog with my gun...and if I was still young and dumb (still dumb :wink: ) that qould have been one dead dog! :twisted:

·
Registered
8,945 Posts
man sorry to hear that. that realy sucks bad. Yep that dog would have been dead or had a butt end of the shot gun right in it side. then the owner would have had a nice ear full of me. My dog get along with other dogs pretty good.hope evey thing get better for your dog and you.

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
Thats why I quit taking Toby to the marsh... he was a big, un-neutered male and wanted to prove that to all the other dogs out there. It was BS and although he was great when he was with me alone, he was a PIA if we were on the dike or even hunting over dekes with other folks. I was one of the ones that made the mistake (although only twice) of taking him with me without having him firmly in hand with regard to discipline. The first time was on the dike... no dog fight but he did go do that "I'm taller than you, so I'll stand over you and growl" bit with another dog before I yanked him back to our section of weeds.... :roll: The second time was with Leaky and Sparky over decoys and every time Sparky would go retrieve or run around, my dog would run with him and growl so that was the last straw and after that, he stayed home. If you don't have a handle on your dogs, then don't take the **** things with you..... they're better off at home and you and everyone around you can have a good time. That stinks about your dog.... and the bad part is your kids saw it.... some people are just idiots man. Hope your dog heals up fast and goes right back to good hunting in the marsh.

·
Registered
610 Posts
That sucks, my old Male Lab it seemed like would get jumped on every year by another male dog out duck hunting. He never started the fights but the other dog wouldn't leave him alone. Since then my last two dogs have been spayed females, they have been no problems with them around other dogs.

Mark

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Man that sucks about your dog and you. :evil: I hate to say it but I guarantee you that dog would be shot on site if it had been me. I won't allow myself, my nor anyone elses kid nor my dogs to be torn up by someone jack arses dog. Just ask my neigbor. She isn't a big fan of me because about two months ago her adult lab tried to tear into my puppy. Her dog learned what a danner boot in the face feels like several times over. IF YOU CAN'T CONTROL YOUR DOGS LEAVE THEM AT HOME! :evil: :evil:

·
Registered
647 Posts
Unfortunately dogs, horses, cats and all other animals are just that, animals.
The person that needed the "corrective action" was the two legged dog that wasn't responsible enough to handle his business.

I can honestly say that once the dog drew MY blood, intentional or not, there would be trouble. I have no idea if this dog has ever seen the pointy end of a hypodermic, if I am the
first person this dog had gotten in to.

I can relate a story about the best dog I ever owned. English Setter smart as a whip
loved the family and would do whatever I asked, only exception was protective and territorial instincts. If he didn't know you your ass was grass. I hunted upland game for two years with a 60 foot lead attached to his choke chain and would avoid other hunters as much as possible. He finally got to the point when he figured out that pointing and retreiving birds was MUCH more fun than getting his neck tightened.

I would make the point that the "wrong" animal was the one to get the boot in the piehole

·
Registered
218 Posts
I agree, the guy who owned that dog is the one who deserved a boot to the head. That crap is ridiculous, his dog will end up paying for his stupidity sooner or later. Not many people with a shotgun handy are going to take getting bit very lightly and you can almost guarantee this is going to happen again. Very sorry to hear about you and your dog, I can't beleive how mad I am just reading this post!

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
Thats why I quit taking Toby to the marsh... he was a big, un-neutered male and wanted to prove that to all the other dogs out there.
Sounds like Toby needs a nut-ectomy and some serious training at the "western" school of dog behavior modification. :twisted:

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
TEX-O-BOB said:
Sounds like Toby needs a nut-ectomy and some serious training at the "western" school of dog behavior modification. :twisted:
Thats kinda why, although I was pretty torn up about letting him go, he was the one to leave out of the two dogs I owned. I've NEVER had that problem with Buddy. He's very used to following commands and the only time he gets a little upset with other dogs is when they get all over him. He's a little defensive about that but won't actually do anything until a dog jumps on him and starts biting/growling. One of the dogs we were camping with over Labor Day found that out the hard way. :roll: Thankfully I was right there to separate them so there was no serious trouble. I do agree that my big dog needed somebody to get "western" with him... too bad I didn't know Tak better. :wink: I'd really get physical with Toby there towards the end but he was so big, he'd just shake it off and go back to what he was doing.... it was pretty frustrating actually and I would never take him hunting because it just was a big hassle. He was a GREAT family dog though.... go figure

·
Registered
8,945 Posts
it helps to if your dog is around other dogs alot. my black lab dont like anyother dogs trying anthing with her sister and she get in between the her sister and the other dog.so more they are aorund other dogs better they are with other dogs to.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Anint Karma a B----, Got a call form the sheriffs dept today, Turns out i broke that poor dogs ribs, and the guy had to take it to his vet, the vet thought he was abusing his dog and reported him. The dog is doing fine and the guy is now sitting in jail probably waiting for his wife to bail him out. I would of loved to have been there when he was explaining to the police why his dog had broken ribs. Thanks for all the support guys. I laughing so hard right now i cant stand it. I though nothing would ever come of this. Oh yeah dog is in the pound right now and doing fine. I dont blame the dog I blame the owner. Hmmm Maybe ill adopt him and mellow him out / What do ya think lol :mrgreen:

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
dkhntrdstn said:
it helps to if your dog is around other dogs alot. my black lab dont like anyother dogs trying anthing with her sister and she get in between the her sister and the other dog.so more they are aorund other dogs better they are with other dogs to.
Are you saying thats what happened over Labor Day?? Because I can tell you right now its not the case at all. The other dog got what she had coming.... and Sandie wasn't anywhere around when Buddy got tired of being harrassed and went off. Buddy has never had any trouble with other dogs for any reason until then.... and Buddy is neutered, so I'm guessing he never had any intentions with or any interest even in any of the other dogs in camp, even though they were mostly female. I don't think any dog is going to be real social when there are others trying to run it over on a retrieve, growling and biting at them as they run along. That was what Toby did the LAST time Toby went to the marsh.... To me, this situation over Labor Day appeared to be another dog out of control who has some social issues of her own. :?

Striker, it sounds like a crappy situation the whole way around..... while its kinda amusing that the guys vet mistakenly thought he broke the dogs ribs through abuse, its not at all funny for the poor dog. Its not a funny situation for either dog involved and honestly I think probably it would be a great thing for you to do to adopt that poor dog, train it, treat it decently and who knows?? It just might turn out to be a good hunting dog for you. Thats not a terrible idea.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i am serioulsy considering adopting him however since he drew human blood the situation is more diffcult im not sure what there going to do with him. i was laughing because he got caught, not because of the dog getting hurt. i am keeping in touch with animal control.and i have talked to the owners wife over this because his owner owes me some money for my expenses on sandy and myself. i have no ill feelings towards this dog just the owner for the way he acted. She told me se would like to keep the dog and im inclined to say yes as long as the animal and the owner sign up for some obidence training and graduate. Thats the only way that I personally would not have any objections towards letting them keep her. im not sure of the legal aspects for them but ill keep ya posted. thanks

1 - 20 of 41 Posts