Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm returning back to Southern Utah University in Cedar City in a few days and I was not able to tag an archery bull in Northern Utah.

I've spent many hours looking at spike/any bull units near cedar city and studying where public land is and isnt... and I think I've found several areas that are south of Hwy 14 around mile post 16 but I have only been in the area one time while grouse hunting.

Any spike or any bull area info within an hour or less of cedar city would be much appreciated! Please PM me, thank you! Its much appreciated!

·
Registered
556 Posts
Give the Deer Valley area a shot, Willis creek also holds some elk.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds like the any bull down there (Zions Unit) is one tuff beast to hunt?

What if I went for a spike or possibly a cow on the panguitch unit? (North side of highway 14)

Any other any bulls hold elk? Pine valley? Enterprise? Beaver?

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Generally the limited entry areas hold more elk than the open bull units. If I were living in Cedar and had done no prior scouting I would concentrate my efforts in the Panguitch Lake/Beaver/south end of Pahvant units. I think a cow or spike would be a heck of an accomplishment with no prior effort put towards the hunt.

Didn't you ask where to find quail last year then kept hitting the same spot til that covey was exterminated? Not sure anybody wants to share a honey hole with a hunter like that--not being mean, just an observation

·
Registered
381 Posts
I've ran into a heard several times around Kolob. Not hunting of course because it's all private in that unit. Pine Valley yeah there is some but never seen or really hear much. Best bet is Beaver south side and have a really good pair of boots and optics.

JMO

·
Premium Member
3,761 Posts
I saw two nice bulls Sunday evening while driving through the Zion Unit, it was after shooting hours. The funny thing is there were 4 or 5 vehicles pulled off the main road and I figured they were out hunting and these 2 bulls were within 150 yards of the vehicles:p

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I saw two nice bulls Sunday evening while driving through the Zion Unit, it was after shooting hours. The funny thing is there were 4 or 5 vehicles pulled off the main road and I figured they were out hunting and these 2 bulls were within 150 yards of the vehicles
If you don't mind me asking.. was this up Hwy 14?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Generally the limited entry areas hold more elk than the open bull units. If I were living in Cedar and had done no prior scouting I would concentrate my efforts in the Panguitch Lake/Beaver/south end of Pahvant units. I think a cow or spike would be a heck of an accomplishment with no prior effort put towards the hunt.

Didn't you ask where to find quail last year then kept hitting the same spot til that covey was exterminated? Not sure anybody wants to share a honey hole with a hunter like that--not being mean, just an observation
Yes, last fall I did ask for bird hunting spots, and few generous people helped me out and found some birds... no I didn't come close to exterminating any bird population. I hunted the quail spot 3 different times. Shot 5 birds one time, 1 the next time and 4 the final time. In this spot I saw easily 300-400 birds.

I have also PM'd guys about fishing and big game hunting in northern Utah as a way to pay it back to the people that are helping me down here. I'm not mad, just don't like to be wrongly accused

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

I'd be happy to take a spike, only issue I have with a cow is that if she is with a calf and I kill the cow, I consider the calf basicslly dead because how young the calves are at the moment..

Maybe I'm wrong in my thinking..?

·
Premium Member
3,761 Posts

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Yes, last fall I did ask for bird hunting spots, and few generous people helped me out and found some birds... no I didn't come close to exterminating any bird population. I hunted the quail spot 3 different times. Shot 5 birds one time, 1 the next time and 4 the final time. In this spot I saw easily 300-400 birds.

I have also PM'd guys about fishing and big game hunting in northern Utah as a way to pay it back to the people that are helping me down here. I'm not mad, just don't like to be wrongly accused
Good to hear--good luck with your hunt--you should go kill a cow/calf/spike, they are tasty. Come back with a good report, lot's of elk on the south end of the Pahvant range up high north of I70. You only have til Sept 4th, best get going!

·
Premium Member
3,761 Posts
Good to hear--good luck with your hunt--you should go kill a cow/calf/spike, they are tasty. Come back with a good report, lot's of elk on the south end of the Pahvant range up high north of I70. You only have til Sept 4th, best get going!
Being a student at SUU his classes start Monday so he probably only has the next two weekends to hunt. I think he was asking for something within an hour of Cedar.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Being a student at SUU his classes start Monday so he probably only has the next two weekends to hunt. I think he was asking for something within an hour of Cedar.
Due to my schedule I can hunt weekends and twice during the week... I live and breath hunting so almost everything else comes second lol

But yes would really like to stay within an hour of Cedar

·
Premium Member
3,761 Posts
PM sent

·
Premium Member
3,761 Posts
Due to my schedule I can hunt weekends and twice during the week... I live and breath hunting so almost everything else comes second lol

But yes would really like to stay within an hour of Cedar
I70 is about an hour from Cedar you could be hunting within about 2 hours.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts