Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, If you have a second could you please take this survey? It is for one of my last college classes and I would appreciate your help. Here is the link to survey, as well as some info about my study. Thank you

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/27987V5

Protocol Title: Are current poaching penalties enough of a deterrent?
Principal Investigator: Nick Toller
Description of Subject Population: Outdoorsmen/women of the Western U.S.
Version Date: 10/28/15

Introduction

Please read this form carefully. The purpose of this form is to provide you with important information about taking part in a research study. If any of the statements or words in this form are unclear, please let us know. We would be happy to answer any questions.

If you have any questions about the research or any portion of this form, please ask us. Taking part in this research study is up to you.
The people in charge of this study are Nick Toller and Dr. Robert Morris. Nick Toller can be reached at [email protected] Dr. Morris can be reached at [email protected]

Why is this study being done?
The purpose of this study is to See how people feel about the current poaching laws, and if consequences were more harsh, a deterrent would be created against poaching.
We are asking you to take part in this study because you are knowledgeable and have experience in the outdoors.

How Will You Keep My Study Records Confidential?
We will keep the records of this study confidential by using information for the study and study only. No information will be shared outside of the study.

·
Premium Member
4,248 Posts
I think you are a tad bit confident that folks are going to tell you if they have poached or not. I filled out your poll, but think the questions on have you poached are ahh dumb?

EDIT: By the way welcome to the forum.

·
West side Utah Lake
3,905 Posts
I think I'll pass based on Dunkem's comments....good luck.

·
Registered
6,753 Posts
Why are people afraid to admit if they've illegal taken fish or other game before in an anonymous online survey? Not sure how valid any of these surveys are, but help a brother out!

I have illegally taken game/fish before. I was 16 years old out duck hunting and shot a limit of pintails. I had no idea I had broken the law until I got the film developed and showed a picture to a friend a couple weeks later. I did not turn myself in, but I haven't made that mistake again.

I fished one time several years ago with a 2nd pole without a 2-pole permit as well. After that I always bought the 2nd permit. Glad they changed that law!

·
West side Utah Lake
3,905 Posts
Why are people afraid to admit if they've illegal taken fish or other game before in an anonymous online survey? Not sure how valid any of these surveys are, but help a brother out!

I have illegally taken game/fish before. I was 16 years old out duck hunting and shot a limit of pintails. I had no idea I had broken the law until I got the film developed and showed a picture to a friend a couple weeks later. I did not turn myself in, but I haven't made that mistake again.

I fished one time several years ago with a 2nd pole without a 2-pole permit as well. After that I always bought the 2nd permit. Glad they changed that law!
I don't know how much you know about the ANONYMOUS surveys and survey monkey. They're not anonymous and track your IP address with the survey. How do I know you ask, well we use it routinely at our office and even though the surveys are "anonymous" I know who took the survey. You can take it if you wish that's your choice. I prefer that the government (aka NSA) and any other entity know as little about me as possible.

·
Premium Member
4,248 Posts

Not afraid, but read the last 1 or 2 sentences on his post. Do you think folks are going to say Hey I shot a bull out of season, or I poached a deer and so on. I filled out his poll, have nothing to hide, but seems abit off to me!

·
Registered
6,753 Posts
The survey could definitely be better worded.

Lost- nothing you do or post online is truly 'anonymous.' But of course, you already knew that. I'm not worried about admitting my hunting/fishing transgressions. Statute of limitations has run on them anyway!

·
Registered
307 Posts
I poached once. I shot a duck early, like by 4 minutes. This was when I was a rookie waterfowler. Still am, but I follow the rules now. Ive been hunting ducks for about 12 years now. But shooting times are a must now for me.

·
Premium Member
4,248 Posts
Nick I do not understand why you need this survey signed? Seems like you are searching for something?(other than your study) Gonna have the other mods look at this.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
I never poach!!! You gotta be kidding me here LL. With that said, my wife poaches for me and the kids all the time though. :D

·
Administrator
21,355 Posts

We will keep the records of this study confidential by using information for the study and study only. No information will be shared outside of the study. We will make every effort to keep your records confidential. However, there are times when federal or state law requires the disclosure of your records.
Which way is it? Make up your mind.

·
West side Utah Lake
3,905 Posts
Which way is it? Make up your mind.

Um if it is anonymous as he claims how do they know who to report.....I told you this wasn't anonymous and that they know who is filling out the report.

·
Registered
144 Posts
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/poaching

Poaching:

verb (used without object)
1. to trespass, especially on another's game preserve, in order to steal animals or to hunt.
2. to take game or fish illegally.

Item #2 is where most I know find themselves. Via misunderstanding hunting regulations, hunting boundaries, seasons, hunting times, or limits on types of animals within the same species - fishing limits and identification - (ducks also come to mind).

Here is yet another example:
R657-5-6. Hunting Hours.
Big game may be taken only between one-half hour before official sunrise through one-half hour after official sunset.
Ever heard shots outside of these times? ------ yeah.

I know of another instance where the CWMU operator and land owner agreed to let a general permit holder shoot a big game animal on the owners property. HOWEVER!!! - The hunter was COMPLETELY unaware of this. The hunter then found out after the animal was loaded into the truck via the owner. What was the hunter supposed to do then? Was it poaching? (General permit holders cannot shoot big game on CWMU units without CWMU tags)

As they say....... You can't sin in ignorance. And I am willing to bet that most in this forum have "Poached" an animal or two in ignorance without knowing about it.
-------------------------------------------------------

Speaking of which I need help with another example of this I ran into this last week.

Utah Regulation states that the definition of a cow elk is (obviously a cow) but IT ALSO INCLUDES a bull elk with horns 5 inches or shorter. Having cow elk hunted for a few years now I know why! It would be very easy to shoot a bull with short horns thinking it was a cow. Here is the reference to this regulation:
http://wildlife.utah.gov/rules-regulations/942-r657-5--taking-big-game.html
R657-5-2. Definitions.
(b) "Antlerless elk" means an elk without antlers or with antlers five inches or shorter.

Does the same hold true for Wyoming? - I have been looking for this and cannot find it anywhere.

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Here is yet another example:
R657-5-6. Hunting Hours.
Big game may be taken only between one-half hour before official sunrise through one-half hour after official sunset.

Ever heard shots outside of these times? ------ yeah.
There is nothing illegal whatsoever about firing a gun after "shooting hours" end. Hunting regulations are for hunting restrictions. Nothing wrong at all about plinking targets all night long (assuming you aren't violating noise ordinances, or you are in a area with additional restrictions).

Nothing at all wrong or illegal with say, a muzzleloader hunter who hunts until the end of shooting hours, then fires his muzzleloader when he gets back to the truck to get rid of the charge.

-DallanC

·
Premium Member
4,248 Posts
Hey guys, If you have a second could you please take this survey? It is for one of my last college classes and I would appreciate your help. Here is the link to survey, as well as some info about my study. Thank you

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/27987V5

Protocol Title: Are current poaching penalties enough of a deterrent?
Principal Investigator: Nick Toller
Description of Subject Population: Outdoorsmen/women of the Western U.S.
Version Date: 10/28/15

Introduction

Please read this form carefully. The purpose of this form is to provide you with important information about taking part in a research study. If any of the statements or words in this form are unclear, please let us know. We would be happy to answer any questions.

If you have any questions about the research or any portion of this form, please ask us. Taking part in this research study is up to you. If you decide to take part in this research study-___ we will ask you to sign this form. We will give you a copy of the signed form.
The people in charge of this study are Nick Toller and Dr. Robert Morris. Nick Toller can be reached at [email protected]" target="_blank">[email protected] Dr. Morris can be reached at [email protected]. We will refer to this person as the "researcher" throughout this form.

Why is this study being done?
The purpose of this study is to See how people feel about the current poaching laws, and if consequences were more harsh, a deterrent would be created against poaching.
We are asking you to take part in this study because you are knowledgeable and have experience in the outdoors.

We will keep the records of this study confidential by using information for the study and study only. No information will be shared outside of the study. We will make every effort to keep your records confidential. However, there are times when federal or state law requires the disclosure of your records.
"we will ask you to sign this form. We will give you a copy of the signed form."

Reread your original post.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks to all who have helped me out. Wyogoob, that's just a template our professor make us use. I can't see who took it, just the answers people gave. Even if I could see which people took it, no information would be shared

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Dunkem- im sorry I should have read that better before I posted it. Like I said it's a template that all capstone students have to use. I forgot to delete those lines. Signed consent is required for some studies, but not in this survey. Nothing to sign here.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts