Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
That's a shame. My kid would have loved to have that bull. We're getting closer but having to use different tactics.

Btw, do you need contact info for one of the fish cops working down here?

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Too bad it happened. So what makes this a poached bull versus an unrecovered bull? All the pictures show is a dead bloated bull. Not much detail in the OP.
Unloaded their gun in the kill zone(not going far)and died in the wide open. Looks like a poach to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Unloaded their gun in the kill zone(not going far)and died in the wide open. Looks like a poach to me.

honestly to me, the wound holes don’t look like the same size… I’m kinda leaning towards to gored side of things. I’m sure I’m wrong, but this doesn’t look poached to me

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
honestly to me, the wound holes don’t look like the same size… I’m kinda leaning towards to gored side of things. I’m sure I’m wrong, but this doesn’t look poached to me
Ya looking closer at the pics I can see what you mean. Im still team poached, but wouldn’t be surprised if the investigation determined he picked a fight with a bigger bull.

·
Administrator
11,312 Posts
Looking at the elk and enlarging the photo they look more like puncher wounds to me rather than a bullet.

I think that one reason that a lot feel that when they find a dead animal and think that it was poached is just the fact that humans do that type of thing and it is the first thing that comes to their mind. Quite a few don't realize that elk and deer do fight to the death sometimes and that this is nature.

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
Anybody done this type of "forensics" on wildlife before? Would be interesting to hear how DWR might go about concluding a bull like that was poached, shot & unrecovered, or gored by another bull. Truly curious.

I hope it wasn't poached. Would be a shame to see such an animal left to waste.

·
Administrator
11,312 Posts
I helped a DWR officer here in Colorado on one suspected poached deer. They'll roll the body over to see if there are any entrance or exit holes in it, they will then check it with a metal detector over it and finally they may skin it down around the wounds to see what they look like on the meat or if there is any metal detected to see find it. All is documented with a camera, either video, still, or both. They also take samples to check for CWD, not that is why it died but just for their information.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Did you call DWR and give the coordinates? I know cell reception is spotty at best. As others have said, it could be he lost a fight during the rut, but you never really know for sure until someone cuts him open.

Back in 2018 I found a similar bull on the manti. I wasn't sure what was going on, so I called DWR, they transferred me on the phone with their nearest cop, and I gave him the coords . I think I sent him some pictures too, i guess so he could see if it was worth his time to check it out. I learned they all use OnX during that call. He wasn't happy I was pretty far in. Several hours later as I was up on a ridge glassing I saw him coming in and start examining the bull. I was going to go down and talk to him, but i got freaking lazy and stayed up where I was because was a long way down. DWR called me back a day later telling me it was gored in the neck (he was laying on it so i couldn't tell), and if i wanted the antler to come on down and get it. I passed, as i didn't feel like driving all the way back. In hindsight I wish i did.

On the otherhand, it could have been a sketchy type who decided he wanted target practice on a live animal. We've got a lot more sketchy types in Utah these days.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
This is right on the trail were the family sheep herd come downs off the mountain. It is in an easy place to get to. I think my brother would like to get the antlers if it is possible. Calling it in poached gets a fast reaction from the DWR. Plus this has been a good discussion.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts