Utah Wildlife Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Have you ever ate a rutty bull? It isn’t something you really look forward to
Actually my son killed one last year on the Manti during the archery big bull, big mature bull and while I agree, for the most part rutty animals aren't the best eating this one is. Very mild flavor and tender.

I killed a deer 3 years ago on the last day of the rifle that was starting to rut, swollen neck and mighty stinky. I cooked a neck roast in the crock pot for 2 days, after the first day you still couldn't saw through it with a sharp serrated knife, when I finally took it out to eat I took one bite, spit it out and went to get hamburgers for dinner. I ended up sneaking a few roasts to my sons house and slipping them in his freezer, he found them, I had labeled them as my deer, he gave them to a neighbor he didn't particularly like who had been bugging him for deer meat. He didn't hear back from her on how her meal turned out and she hasn't asked for any more :)

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Anybody done this type of "forensics" on wildlife before? Would be interesting to hear how DWR might go about concluding a bull like that was poached, shot & unrecovered, or gored by another bull. Truly curious.

I hope it wasn't poached. Would be a shame to see such an animal left to waste.
Common sense would lead most people to the answers of all the questions you asked, if they were to examine it in person by themselves. But, once again, it is you asking these questions and even if someone came to a concrete conclusion, im certain you would give them a diagnosis on how their mental state would lead them to believe such findings and also let them know they were incorrect.

BTW, how the hunt going to the elusive elk? Kill one yet? 🤣

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
If the investigation determines that the animal was poached, then good luck getting the antlers.
If the investigation determines that the animal was killed naturally (ie: gored by another animal), then you might get the antlers.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
This is right on the trail were the family sheep herd come downs off the mountain. It is in an easy place to get to. I think my brother would like to get the antlers if it is possible. Calling it in poached gets a fast reaction from the DWR. Plus this has been a good discussion.
They went and looked at it yesterday. Didn't hear a determination on the cause.

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
I helped a DWR officer here in Colorado on one suspected poached deer. They'll roll the body over to see if there are any entrance or exit holes in it, they will then check it with a metal detector over it and finally they may skin it down around the wounds to see what they look like on the meat or if there is any metal detected to see find it. All is documented with a camera, either video, still, or both. They also take samples to check for CWD, not that is why it died but just for their information.
I kind of figured the shape of the wound, blood trail, etc would come into play. Hadn't thought about things like x-raying the meat. Sounds like the CO or LEO can largely draw a conclusion on the spot from other stories here. Just wasn't sure how far the the agent had to go to open or close a report.

Looked up some details last night and it sounds like WY has one of the best labs in the nation for wildlife forensics. They are keeping a genetic database to compare different populations when they get evidence to analyze for their agents or other states. Appears they've helped solve and eventually prosecute some interesting cases.

Don't know how many people saw this earlier in the year but sounds like a wild incident to discover and report. Learn something new everyday.

·
Registered
146 Posts
When I hear of poaching it means killing an animal (that you don't have a tag for) gutting it then hauling it home to hang in a secluded spot and later skinned and processed, packaged, for the freezer for eating.

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
From what I've read the last day it appears more "thrill kill" poaching is happening than before. I just can't imagine going out solely to kill wildlife to just watch it die with no goal of collecting the meat. Such waste.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
For giggles and grins, here's some pictures of that gored elk I found in 2018. I immediately assumed the worst. In hindsight, I feel pretty stupid, because what happened seems pretty obvious to me now. I had never encountered a dead bull like that before. Had hunted the area before and nothing. Next day, same area, I find him laying dead in a basin. I figured someone with a LE muzzy elk tag took a long bomb shot from the ridge above in the evening, discovered it only had one antler after the fact, and left it rather then punch their tag. Having lost a fight during the rut never even entered my mind. Stupid is as stupid does.

Attachments

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
We generally find at least one elk every year that has either died by humans and left or natural causes such as being gored, etc. Here are some pics, i can't find the pic of a 6 point someone tied to a tree, or the 5 point or 4 point or the spike. We just haven't caught anyone in the act.
Head Eye Plant Crocodile Jaw

Deer hunting Terrestrial animal Natural material Soil Foot

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Those pictures are pretty obvious. Either poached or wanton waste. That should not happen. But without a witness I'm not sure what would happen. I'm not saying poaching doesn't happen and certainly don't understand just killing a animal and taking the antlers and maybe the backstraps. But without any witnesses I'm pretty sure they will just put the information in their data base and wait for the next occurrence.
Luckily most the people who do this post their stupidity on social media,

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
looks pretty suspicious to me with all those wounds in the vital area. I could see it being a goring, but all that activity in the vitals make it very suspicious.

I hope you’ll follow up here with the DWRs determination. There are more than a couple curious individuals that would love to know.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Those pictures are pretty obvious. Either poached or wanton waste. That should not happen. But without a witness I'm not sure what would happen. I'm not saying poaching doesn't happen and certainly don't understand just killing a animal and taking the antlers and maybe the backstraps. But without any witnesses I'm pretty sure they will just put the information in their data base and wait for the next occurrence.
Luckily most the people who do this post their stupidity on social media,
What do you think now?

21 - 35 of 35 Posts